DOH! Trailhead woes...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you ever get stuck in a ditch at the trailhead?

• Yes, due to ice cream fixation

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yes, due to mud

• No, but ate ice cream anyway

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • No, and I do not like ice cream

• Total voters
My worst trailhead moment was in about 1970. My friend and I had parked at the Denning trailhead in the Catskills and gone on a two night backpacking trip. When we got back to the car pretty late on Sunday night, I got a sinking feeling when the starter just clicked and wouldn't turn over. There is no trailhead more remote in the Catskills than Denning. Just for the hell of it, I pulled the filler caps off the battery and could see that two cells were low on water. I drizzled some in, waited ten minutes, and Voila!, it started. :)

With today's sealed systems, my little trick wouldn't work.

oswegatchie, yeah, the denning trailhead is fairly remote, even today, let alone 35 years ago! I wonder if that nice house was there 35 years ago. Today, there is a very nice house with a beautiful barn and a nice garden there..

Jay

Derail, House at Denning

Hey Jay,
That really cool house at the Denning TH part of the Tyson Trust (?) and its probably at least a hundred years old -- I agree its a really cool house.
What a great spot, too....

Last time I was up there (fall?) there was more clearing going on and looks like more building around that little valley...bummer.

NOT a good place to get stuck if you plan on getting out any time soon.