Doric Temple off Red Spot trail on Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogorchis

Reaction score
My nephew's son and I were looking for the Doric Temple off of the Red Spot Trail on Mt. Monadnock. Anyone else found it? We may not have been up far enough. It's always fun to find historic sites on this mountain.

There are some clues here:

http://monadnocktrails.com/StateParkSideTrails.php

"Red Spot Trail is less steep than the Spellman Trail and is much less crowded than the main trails from Headquarters. The Red Spot Trail is reached by Cascade Link (1.2 miles from headquarters) from Falcon junction via the White Dot trail as well as Birchtoft Trail from Gilson Pond (2.1 miles from Gilson Pond parking). The Red Spot Trail starts at the junction of Cascade Link and Birchtoft Trail, shortly passing the Cascade Link junction to Spellman Trail. The Red Spot trail heads uphill at a moderate grade reaching the Old Ski Trail in .4 miles. The Red Spot Trail climbs up along woods that have been hit hard by recent ice storms. The Red Spot Trail trail climbs past the Doric Temple with views east at a steep ledgy section (.7 miles from Birchtoft jct.). The Doric Temple was named because the cliffs resembled a simple Greek temple from a distance. There are some views on the trail (.9 miles from Birchtoft jct.) as Smith Connecter is reached (no longer on map but jct. is still marked on rock). The grade eases over open ledge with views of the summit and in a short distance reaches the Pumpelly Trail 0.4 miles to the summit (1 mile from Birchtoft Jct.)."

I couldn't find it either, using the location shown on the old AMC Monadnock map

Maybe someone who has actually been there would like to post a GPS coordinate or a photo

The older maps are all wrong (including Chamberlain's "Tramper's") if you listen to some experts. I had thought I found what it is in the Red Spot area, but was always told I was wrong. I gave up.

A good source is to talk to Lee W. mid week at the Old Toll Rd.

Another source that I have found to be very knowledgeable about Monadnock is Kerry, He posts here as Kerry13.

I hope I didn't put Kerry on the spot but he has helped me with questions in the past.

Glenn

Thanks for all the replies!

We just didn't go far enough up. Audrey, your data will be very helpful.

Another source that I have found to be very knowledgeable about Monadnock is Kerry, He posts here as Kerry13.

I hope I didn't put Kerry on the spot but he has helped me with questions in the past.

Glenn

No problem GlennS. Doric Temple is one of the few historic sites for which there is a myraid of opinions. I have included a link to Fred Pitcher's website. I have chatted with Fred several times on the trail and shared information with him. He certainly knows the mountain. I am not totally convinced that what he thinks is Doric Temple, was indeed it. I have been to the location and climbed all over it. It is impressive but I am still not convinced for a couple reasons. Doric was a type of Greek architecture incorporating large fluted columns. I haven't found anything there, as of yet, that would jump out as being Doric type architecture. Plus most of the early maps I have indicate the location to be in the old White Dot, Smith Connector, Red Spot, Pumpelly area. There is a ledgy area west of Red Spot, north of Smith Connector and south of Pumpelly which looks like many large fluted columns laying down on a slight angle, but it is not very impressive, then again, it is in the area noted on most maps. Jim Shuffleton is another very knowledgeable individual and he and I plan on doing some more reconnaissance for Doric Temple in the near future. Hopefully we'll come up with something. Till then here is Fred Pitcher's website link with Doric and many, many other interesting sites to find and explore for those inclined.

http://www.monadnocktrails.com/PlacesofInterest.php

Thanks for all the replies

Just read Kerry113's reply. Thanks. I had looked at the link that you sent. All very interesting to consider. To my way of thinking, something named the Doric Temple should have some columns, but unless someone was into carving fluted columns, we probably won't find it. Maybe, they just used artistic license in naming the area.

I agree, is this the place Andrew was talking about?

I'm not sure, but it is located to the right of the upper most boulder field. There is a similar outcrop to the right of the lower boulder field. There are also some interesting outcrops to the north of the Red Spot, at about 2700ft, which we plan to explore.

Just read Kerry113's reply. Thanks. I had looked at the link that you sent. All very interesting to consider. To my way of thinking, something named the Doric Temple should have some columns, but unless someone was into carving fluted columns, we probably won't find it. Maybe, they just used artistic license in naming the area.

I'm not narrowing my vision to believe there has to be any sort or column like structure. As with the Old Man of the Mountain, you have to be in the right place to see it. When you are there it all makes sense. First impression. Doric architecture also has a unique frieze design which may be the key. The Imp is another on M, if you are not in the right location you are not going to see it, but be there and it is very obvious. I'm running out of things to find on M, so I will be focusing more time on finding DT. I'll let you know when I'm sure I have found it.

If we knew that the person who gave the name was an architectural historian, that would give me more confidence in the details - maybe it was just somebody who thought the impressive cliffs in the photo reminded them of an ancient temple and used the first name that came to mind. Or even somebody who had a good time there with their friend Dorrie.

Thus finding an early account of where it is might be the most useful.