Doubletop and oh, also: camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
The four of us went up Doubletop on Sunday. We spotted cars and went South to North. When we got to the first summit we were all amazed by the views. Once again, MEB and Little Sister beat Eric and I there by about 45 minutes. So they got to enjoy the views a little more. Eric and I had fun on the trail.

There was a kid on the summit. He was throwing sticks and rocks off the summit. One time, he threw a big one off that I actually thought was Little Sister. I had one of those moments, oh boy.

I'm going to list a bunch of the things you can see from the summit: Doubletop Summit, Baxter and Hamlin Peak, North Brother, South Brother, Coe, Barren, The Owl, O-J-I, Center, The Traveler, Big Squaw, ummmmm, South Branch Mountain, Mullin, something peak, and so on.

Then we walked to the real summit. My altimeter was only 8' off. We saw a sign indicating that a guy was cremated there and his ashes thrown around. There is also evidence of an old firetower. Why people put firetowers on open summits sometimes confuses me. This view was just as good as the last one and we chose to sit around for a while again. Also, we made "poor taste jokes" about my steripen and discusses Giggy's methods of naming peaks. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with my last name.

Then we decided to go down. Before this I took a picture of Eric, Little Sister and MEB. Eric and I went together while MEB and Little Sister went down the trail. Somewhere near the bottom a guy ran past Eric and I. He turned around and said, "Are you Dr. Wu?" Affirmative (assuming the VFTT guy and not some Asian doctor). It turns out that it was Nate! What a surprise! He had just BW'd Squaw's Bosom and Doubletop, probably in the same time that it took me to eat my trailmix and think of another disgusting joke about my steripen. We followed him down and MEB and Little Sister eventually expressed pleasantries with Nate.

Also: Eric's keen fashion sense thankfully returned.

Oh, and I'm supposed to talk about camping too! We stayed at South Branch. Eric and I had to leave on Monday because I had something important to do Tuesday morning. MEB and Little Sister had a huge, fancy tent. Eric and I set up a tarp and slept on the ground. We all ate good food and enjoyed lots of laughs. At night, skunks and raccoons came around looking for handouts. We didn't give them any. I was surprised that the skunks and raccoons would also walk into our shelter in search of food and sometimes try to steal my smelly clothes. The funniest thing was when the skunk stole Eric's bag and was scurrying off with it and Eric had to go over and say, "Gimme That!" and take it back. Had I got a video of that I would probably be celebrating my eventual winning of an Oscar. Instead I got a video of our campfire and a field mouse that was scurrying around our camp. I might have to settle for just an Oscar Nomination for those two videos.

Anyway, it was a glorious weekend. All 4 of us I think agreed that Doubletop has the most fantastic view that we've seen. Also, that the Traveler was the best "loop hike" we've ever done. Nice to be with 3 great friends too fer the weekend.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Pictures

Here are Pictures from both the Doubletop Trip and also camping at Baxter.

If you like, you can see it as a slideshow which I think is much better.

-Dr. Wu

Nice picutres!

Even though we made it to the top before you guys we kept our eyes closed the whole time until you got there...well, maybe I peaked a few times. :) Anyway, going up Doubletop is no picnic. This has got to be one of the steepest trails I've been on in a long time. Not only was it wicked steep but you has to practically had to be a gymnist in a few spots. Overall though I can't complain too much about the trail as the views were well worth the effort. OMG....I have never felt so remote and far away from everything as I did up there and the views just go on for miles and miles. I think we spent a total of about three hours just lounging around on the rocks.

Camping was fun too. Thankfully the critters didn't find anything interesting near our tent. I wish I had seen Eric battling with the skunk for his pack :D

-MEB