Down Bags and mice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
Hi folks,

We are selling our home and may have to store our two -20 winter bags in a storage shed which is not mouse proof. Is this foolhardy? It is the time of year that mice our going outside but still.

If you package them up well. Rubbermaid makes a "watertight" container. Also, I think then bagging them with dessicant (sp) to keep moisture at bay and rodent repellant that is sold in hardware stores. I've tried mothballs in the past, but the smell isn't so pleasant and seems long lasting. (Or, if you are from my generation, the smell is a warm-fuzzy, it reminds me of cedar chests filled with woolen mittens, hats, scarfs, overpants and sweaters during the off season and beloved :) grandparents.)

Well, FWIW - I try to store my down bags in a large cotton bag when not in use - a king pillowcase with a drawstring sown in works pretty well - and have never had a mouse problem. I usually try to hang them up so they're suspended, if that helps. I've also put one in a large storage tub (hinged on one side) from Rubbermaid. I think that would be tough for a mouse to get in/out of. You could also get cheaper tubs and seal the tub lids with duct tape (1,003 uses now).

Last edited:
Rodents can chew through many materials, and I would not rely on any form of plastic. I would use only metal containers with very tight lids, for instance a large popcorn container. From a previous career, I know that hiding contraband in such containers will keep it dry while in interstate transit, but it will not necessarily be impervious to the attention of law enforcement. (No, I was neither a shipper or recipient. :p )

Kevin,

Have you stored bags in places where mice COULD have gotten to them but did not, either because of your storage technique or because mice don't like down?
ys