Down on Down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKSherpa

Reaction score
I own two down jackets. One Mountain Hardwear down "sweater" that I like to wear in place of a fleece on cool to cold days, and a First Ascent puffy that I bring along for summits on the really cold days. I'm not a big fan of the fleeces I currently own (a nice one is on my "to buy" list, just haven't gotten around to it yet) so I usually prefer my Mountain Hardwear to one of them. However, on those really cold days I always feel stuck, like I have to bring a fleece just because when I get on top and I throw my FA over everything, I'm hesitant about wearing down over down. I have them sized to me right, I wouldn't be compressing anything badly if I were to wear my FA over my MH but it just feels weird to me. Does this make any sense at all or would it be just as warm/acceptable to wear down on down as it would be to wear down on fleece? Thanks guys!

Personally I like wearing down on down. I have a Patagonia down sweater, and I wear my Mt Hardware down jacket over it. Sometimes vice versa. I find fleece to be bulky and I think the down sweater is warmer.

There is no reason not to wear down over down as long as neither jacket is unduly compressed. It simply becomes a heavier-than-necessary warmer down jacket.

It isn't my first choice (I personally don't wear down while moving), but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it. However, one should be careful not to sweat into the down. (Moisture reduces the loft and insulation.)

I have used down inside of down sleeping bags perfectly well (but I wasn't moving... :) ).

Doug

Last edited:
Perfect, I totally agree with both of you. I don't usually wear it while I'm moving, either, but nor do I wear a fleece while I'm moving. It's more of just a smaller insulating later for stops, summits and descents (when I'm not working as hard, not getting as warm and not sweating). Same as a fleece. Not sure why, just had some strange phobia of down on down. Thanks guys!

Ryan

FWIW, I generally wear fleece when in motion if I need the insulation. It is rugged, highly breathable, and moisture resistant.

The shells on down jackets are generally less rugged and down is less moisture resistant*. However, down is also quite breathable.

* There seems to be a new method of treating down that makes it highly moisture resistant. We will see how well it works and how well the market accepts it.

I save my down for long stops where I would otherwise become chilled. (My down jackets are all pretty large loft.)

Others, of course, are welcome to use something else.

Doug

FWIW, I generally wear fleece when in motion if I need the insulation. It is rugged, highly breathable, and moisture resistant.
(snip...)
I save my down for long stops where I would otherwise become chilled. (My down jackets are all pretty large loft.)

^^ This ^^

When moving, I prefer multiple & adjustable layers of fleece or pile under a windshell. I strongly prefer pile for it's better breathability.

Down or Primaloft stays in the pack and is put on over everything (shell included) during rest stops.

Took a buddy up over Lafeyette in the winter many years ago. Temp was around -5F. Couldn't talk him out of wearing fleece under GoreTex (which I had on) and he insisted on wearing down. By time we got back to treeline, the shell of his down jacket was frozen stiff and this was a crystal clear day with brisk winds. IMO, the Whites are just too low to allow sweat to push through down or high loft insulation while on the move. As it was, my fleece froze to inside of my shell that day. Sweat condenses on the outer layer. Happens with sleeping bags too.

Pile for hiking. High loft for resting.

I agree with what Dave says above. Also, I think that down is better now than it used to be because the outer layers are more water resistent. I've worn a down vest and a down jacket/sweather and my-oh-my was I toasty.