Easy Snowshoeing close to Sunday River?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJD

Reaction score
I'm going to be up at Sunday River next weekend and I'm looking for a place to go snowshoeing close by. It's going to be the first time snowshoeing for my fiancee and I, so I'd like something fairly easy.

Any suggestions?

TIA

i would think that you could snowshoe on the golf course near jordan bowl. For something a little more difficult on a nice day, you could go into grafton notch and park at the trailhead to old speck and baldpate. There are two trails to Table rock, which is a great huge rock w/ great views of the valley and old speck from the baldpate side. The trail to the right is quite steep, but the other trail to the left is pretty easy/moderate. I think it's actually the AT. Either way, i would say it's about 2-4 miles rt depending on the trails.

I took a quick look, and it's a 900 foot elevation gain. Some sources say 2.8 miles rountrip, that's probably via the easy AT loop.

Last edited:
I second Table Rock, just off the AT eastbound out of Grafton Notch as reasonable, probably broken and has a modestly steep but short stretch before the rock itself. Nice views.

As King Tut says, don't take the first trail, which is near the road, because that can be challenging in winter. I'd estimate that it's a lot closer to 2 miles than 4 round trip.

There is also a fairly easy hike with a loop potential at Mt. Will, on rt. 2/26 just before the intersection where rt. 26 turns off towards Grafton Notch. I recall there being a landfill on the opposite side of the road near the trailhead. It, too, gets steep just before the ridge but it's not bad ... I took my parents there a few years ago and they were in their early 80's at the time. The trail was well marked but doesn't get a lot of winter use.

Last edited:
I would not recommend heading up Old Speck from Grafton Notch for a first-timer. The bottom part of the route is a loop and either way gets you into some steep and frequently icey stuff.

Someone else mentioned the Mt. Will Trail. It is, indeed, right across Rt 2/26 from the transfer station. The ledges can be rather tricky with ice in winter and we are expecting snow/rain/ice tomorrow. Otherwise it would be a great beginner snowshoe. Maybe we'll get some snow before you come up here.

Crossing Rt 26 and visiting Table Rock, as others have suggested, would be a very nice trip. Stay on the AT untill the second Table rock trail. There will be one short, steep, possibly icey ledge right before the view but you should be able to find away around it if you need to.

Another possiblity might be Puzzle Mountain. I've not been up there in winter but I can't think of any parts that would get very icey. Follow 26 toward Grafton Notch and look for the Grafton Loop Trail parking on your right. This would be a longer hike...about 3 miles each way, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone has been up there recently and will chime in.

If I'm looking for a quick fix I might drive down Rt 113 from Gilead and park at the gate. The road can make for nice snowshoeing but there may be snowmachines. Go along for a bout a mile and the Roost Trail will go off on your left to an excellent viewpoint in about 0.5 mile of steepish climbing. Or cross the snowmobile bridge and go along the Highwater trail for as long as you want. It's a nice river walk.

-vegematic

Table Rock will give you a great view SE of Sunday River Whitecap and E, across the Notch, Old Speck. I second the "back" route, which is the AT, at this time of year. Watch the edge on top; that first step down is a long one.

I'll second the Sunday River XC Ski Center... a great place for some easy snowshoeing.

I did Puzzle Mountain last month and it was 3.2 miles to the summit (which is very nice) but there are some really nice ledges with a fantastic view to the north about 2/3rds of the way up.

injektilo said:
I'll second the Sunday River XC Ski Center... a great place for some easy snowshoeing.

I did Puzzle Mountain last month and it was 3.2 miles to the summit (which is very nice) but there are some really nice ledges with a fantastic view to the north about 2/3rds of the way up.

Beautiful image! I'd forgotten about that viewpoint. It makes a nice destination on its own.
-veg

Thanks for all the help everyone! It looks like there are some good options. My fiancee is going to need to rent shoes, so the XC Ski Center might be the best bet. Plus, its nice to have everything laid out for you, it will just be one less thing to think about which is a nice thing to have for the first time out.

I believe you can also rent shoes from a store called True North Adventureware. If you are coming up Rt 26, look for it on the right, just after Telstar High School and a mile or two before coming to Bethel Village.
-vegematic