Eating spiderwebs and getting a free shower on the Baldfaces

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
I remember, growing up, riding in the car with my parents up through Evans Notch. I remember some majestic looking mountains, and I returned in my early 20's to photograph them from the road. I never knew what they were called, nor did I bother at the time to look it up.

Fast forward ten years. These two peaks have been in my sights for a long time, taunting me when I drive past. I even went so far as to make an attempt at them last November, as a rehab hike (knee issues), but only ended up making it to Eagle Crag, and retreated down Bicknell Ridge. Now, seemed like as good a time as any.

Posting a hike in the Trips & Events forum less than 12 hours before you start it, is, well, a non-starter. Reminder to self: Post it earlier if you want company. Up at 5:15, breakfasted, all things ready to roll. On the road at 5:50, dense fog here on the coast. The radar looked alright when I left, and once further inland, the fog burned off, and it looked like it was shaping up to be a very nice day. If I've learned nothing else, it's that mountain weather is fickle. Ended up making better time than I thought, and cruised up 113 to the height of land in the notch, then back to the trailhead. Waited around to see if anyone might show up, and set off down the road at 8:05.

The lower sections of Baldface Circle Trail were in fantastic shape, nice and dry, with fairly soft footing. I eschewed my Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots, which have been giving me trouble lately, and brought out my brand new La Sportiva Wildcats. Needless to say, going from a 2 lb 13 oz boot, to 12 oz trail runners made a world of difference. More on that later. Took the left branch to head up South Baldface, and made it up to the shelter in 1 hr 10 min. The whole way, I was eating spider webs, and it felt like I was covered by them at times. Took a little rest, and psyched myself up for the steeps. Up until this point, it was bright and sunny, and it felt like I was breathing through a sponge. High clouds began to roll over as I started up the ledges. These ledges were super fun, nice and grippy, and before I knew it, they were done, and I was standing tall on South Baldface. Clouds were building to the west of the Presidentials, and while Washington was in the clear when I arrived on the summit, it was quickly obscured. Looking at my watch, I saw that it was only 10:50, and I had a ton of energy, so after a few pictures, I headed off to North Baldface.

The ridge leading to North Baldface was fun, though as I got closer, the clouds became darker, and more menacing. I summited at 11:30, and after trying to judge the direction the clouds were moving in, I figured I'd take a break and eat. There was rain to the north affecting the Moriahs, but there didn't appear to be any immediate threat of rain for me, so I took my time. Upon starting my descent, I realized my mistake, as rain soon enveloped the Carter Range, and made a beeline for me. It started innocently enough, a few drops here and there, but by the time I hit the Bicknell Ridge Trail intersection at 12:10, it was pouring. I made it to the relative shelter of some overhanging spruce about 2/10 mi down the trail, and waiting out the heaviest of the rain, thankfully no thunder. After it began to taper off, I emerged and continued on down.

Up to this point, I hadn't seen a single soul this whole hike. Wasn't this supposed to be a popular loop? It was mid-week after all, but it's right in the middle of summer. My solitude was soon broken, as I came upon a couple and their daughter on the ledges just above Eagle Cascade Link. I stopped a while, and talked with them, very nice folks. The guy ran the AMC Cold River Camp for a string of years, and had lots to say about trails in the area. After bidding them farewell, I set off down Eagle Cascade Link. I had asked, and found out for myself that the cascade was barely a trickle, not even worth a picture, so I made stellar time down this section and was soon back on the Baldface Circle Trail.

Now I was in cruise control. Made quick time down to Emerald Pool, passing two girls on my way that were headed up to destinations unknown. It was then I ran into the crowds. I found a rock to set my pack against, and made my way down to the pool, soaked my feet for a while, and watched people jump in. In retrospect, I should have checked it out in the morning, there would have been no one there, and would have made for good pictures. Oh well, next time. After the soak, I donned my socks and shoes and booked it to the parking lot, making the car at 2:20 on the dot, beating book time by 25 minutes.

Back to the shoes. I'm speechless. Ever since I started hiking again, I've had issues, with my knees, feet, back, you name it. I've always had weak ankles, and was very hesitant to try anything less than a mid-height, fairly stiff boot. With the exception of winter conditions, I think it's going to be trail runners from here on out. I was shocked at the support from such a lightweight pair of shoes, and had no ankle rolling issues, and zero (I mean ZERO) knee pain. The grip was fantastic on the slabs, and the wet ledges and rocks after the rain. The only pain of any sort that I experienced, was in the last 1 1/2 miles, the tendons above my big toe on my left foot started to cramp up a bit, though it's more likely a hydration thing than the shoes. So no weird foot pain, hot spots, blisters, anything, all on shoes that hadn't been broken in. Impressive to say the least.

All in all, a great day to be out, even with adverse weather. Now I can pass by these peaks and know that I've finally been there.

Pictures

Cheers,

Bill

You caught some very dramatic photos of the approaching rain. Nice trip, isn't it.