elephant 10/2/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 10/2/12

trails: logging road, herd path, bushwack

conditions: elephant mountain road in good condition up to grassy parking area around 3ish miles from south arm road. the road is badly rutted beyond this. just beyond this rutted uphill we followed the overgrown logging road to the left (marked with a pile of rocks) up to a landing where a cairn on the left marks the main herd path heading towards elephant. go straight and avoid the flagged old trail that leads right to the a.t. followed the herd path to around 3200 where an old road leaves left marked by a small pile of logs and a few rocks. we headed up until hitting a large thick area of spruce then went right into open woods up to a prominent old cut around 3400 feet near a swampy area. from there we took a bearing towards the summit and headed up. we got a bit too far east and into some thick woods before picking up various herd paths which we followed most of the way to the summit which is marked with a sign and canister. descending we managed to stay in mostly open woods on and off of herd paths back to the main herd path coming up.

equipment: navigational tools of your choice. there is no continuous herd path to this peak and many misleading paths in spots so definitely be prepard to find your own way.

comments: back up to elephant today with mark who is quickly closing in on the nehh. i enjoyed this trip much more than my first this past summer. with clear skies and drier woods it was much easier to navigate to the summit than my prior hike and there were a few nice views along the way. a good morning in the woods.

bryan

[email protected]