EMS kayak demo in Albany this Sat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudsplitter

Reaction score
So I visited my local EMS in Albany the other day, and I happened to notice that their annual kayak demo is coming up this Saturday. Have any of you been to this event?? I'm in the market for a Perception Carolina, and I'm thinking of stopping by to try one out. I'll prob go to the event regardless, but I was wondering if any of you had been to one of these before. What should I expect?
Thanks,
-C

You should expect to have fun and spend a lot of time talking to the reps and demoing the boat. :)

Any kind of on-water demo is a good place to try out various boats. Do as much research you can on the hard data beforehand and don't be so hardset on say the Carolina or any boat. Keep an open mind and do what feels right. Kind of like buying a bike, each kayak will feel different and perhaps you might wind up liking a different kayak.

You should try a kayak with a skeg as well as a rudder, that comes up often in kayak discussions, don't skimp on the paddle, a paddle is kind of like buying speakers for your stereo or wheels for your bike, it's one of the most important pieces of equipment you will buy for your kayak. If you're going to be moving this long stick, better like it and better be used to it. Of course, the alternative thought is to buy a cheapo paddle first and then figure out what you like and then use the first one as a spare. But that's up to you.

Bring a spare set of clothes, some sunscreen if it is sunny out, try to get there early so you can have more in-depth one-on-one conversations before it gets busy and be prepared to get wet! Have fun too!

Jay

Jay pretty much said it all and I'll just reinforce the whole importance of the paddle. The lighter the paddle, the more fun you'll have on any kayak. Splurge for the paddle now.

Have fun :)