End of an Era

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught that when using strap-on crampon crampons, you should re-tighten the straps about 15 minutes or so after you've first put them on and started using them--similar to re-torquing the lug nuts after a tire rotation.

You're not really using shoestrings are you?
I realize now my statement was vague and misleading,my apologies.I use old school cramps that use straps.They fit so well for me, I have felt no need to upgrade.A few years ago the straps started to go in the back so I just use boot laces with the left over straps in the front.Very snug and safe.And I check often to make sure they are ok!
I do not consider myself a climber and love to take the easiest way up a mountain,which means very little cramp use for me in general.I use them on the ammo and coming down the hancocks or something like that.Also my snowshoes got traction which works 90% of the time on the terrain I like and feel comfortable hiking on.
Maybe I should upgrade to the step in ones,but I am slow to adapt newer "technologies".I trust what I know works for me.
Doug; appreciate your thoughts which are right on.
Also it is very bad to let a starting winter hiker think they can get old military cramps and then go up some slide with only shoelaces holding them on which could lead to a very bad scene....note;changed my other post to clarify it better.

Last edited: