"Escape the Escarpment" TBTS fundraising event '05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey David, sorry you can't make my hike. You can still raise pledges if you want to. I'll see ya in Kingston, which is coming up fast.

Jay

Jay, I'm trying to figure out how to be in 2 places at one time..i gave myself a headache last night with this problem. I need to visit the wizard and get some "nerve".

Hey Dawn, since I believe the campground site is a field, kind of like that at the Gathering last year (just hopefully not as wet!), there isn't a real need to RSVP or so. If you want to camp for any or both nights, just show up. It's nice not having to make reservations through Reserveamerica like we would of had to done if we stayed at N/S lake.

See ya at the 3500 dinner. You think I should wear a suit and devil horns?

Jay

askus3 said:
I consider myself a slow hiker regardless what SherpaK says. Anyway, I dug into my archives and came out with an early start to sunset hike schedule. I did this same hike from north to south on Saturday, May 8, 1982. .......
I plan on keeping to this pace and enjoying the views, so plan on me being the last out of the woods. I don't recommend looking at your watch continually, but if you can't keep to this schedule, let someone know that you might need to exit at some early cut-off, Dutcher Notch, Mary's Glen Trail or North Lake.
Hope you can keep up and leave me in the dust.
Nice work. :) I compared your schedule to the spreadsheet I did and posted in an earlier post (I just made a few modifications to the spreadsheet). You can modify your pace in cell: B2 to see the effect on the schedule. I would not consider this a slow pace, more like moderately aggressive. I differ in my times for ascents, but don't take into account for fatigue. I also make up most of the time on the level and descents. Is this schedule based on your previous record, or just calculated on the map mileage?

I agree on your recommended bailout points. From the Mary's Glen Jct. you could take that trail to the loop road in the park (and hope someone comes to pick you up), or turn onto the rock shelter trail, which ends near the parking area on Schutt Rd. The Catskill mountain house site is an obvious re-supply/moral support point. Its 1/4 mile from a parking lot and has great views.

I'm still hoping to be able to make it this time, but I'm still waiting for my daughter’s soccer schedule and Girl Scout camping plans for that weekend so I can figure out if I can make this hike.

Escarpment time schedule

Yes, this schedule is based on my previous time record. Just stretched out a little. I also added reasonable time rest stops in several places to allow for lunch, snacks, scenery viewing or comraderie. This way I can enjoy the hike and be sort of an unofficial sweep. The times listed are the departure times from each location. If anyone wants I can list the time schedule from my 1982 trek, but it doesn't vary much from my proposed schedule.

As far as pace, no it is not really slow but it is about as comfortable pace as you can have without getting caught in the woods in darkness. Anyone hiking 23 miles in a 13 hour period obviously can't go at a slow pace. In my opinion a slow pace is slower than 1.5 mph.

Hey Frytz........think we may be motel mates at the Red Ranch--thanks for the heads up on the price......

I have read all the posts and done a little research but haven't found a map with description of terrain on the Escarpment Trail. Any suggestions?

What's the mud like that time of year? Best that we wear trail runners or boots?

What is the average 'donation'? With folks' budgets as they are these days I'm not convinced that they would be inclined to donate to an out of state cause......I planned my own personal donation of $100. Is that acceptable?

Yahoo! I am looking forward to this.......Jade

Jay is planning to provide a profile. If you want to purchase maps, the best Catskill maps are the 5 map set published by the New York / New Jersey Trail Conference. They have 100' contour lines, and include trail descriptions with mileages on the back of the maps.

I did find an online profile of a Blackhead Range loop hike which includes about 8 miles of the Escarpment Trail. Jay's hike will go over the section between mile 4 and 12 on this profile, but in reverse direction. Also the first mile of the Escarpment Trail is very similar to the mile 12 through 13 of the profile, but with an additional 240' elevation, as you will be starting at about 1760' elevation instead of 2000' elevation shown at mile 13 of the profile. The toughest climb in the Escarpment hike is the 1100' elevation climb (in 1.0 mile) on the north side of Blackhead.

After reaching the Blackhead summit (and leaving the profile) there are several shorter climbs, but none very steep. There are, however, steep descents down the south side of Blackhead, Arizona, and North Point. These descents have eroded and loose rock sections.

The trail follows the top of the ridge so it is usually rather dry. The little false summit, Arizona (the name means arid zone), is fairly descriptive of the normally dry state of the Escarpment. There are only two stream crossings, one at the start, one at the end, both have hiker bridges. How much mud will depend on how much rain falls the week prior to the hike. Generally there is not much mud, but there may scattered standing water areas, especially over the first 7 miles from Route 23 through Acra Point. Recent heavy rains may yield some water running in a few eroded trail sections. Unless there has been a lot of recent rains you probably could do OK in trail runners. I usually opt for light sticky-sole boots in the Catskills, but just my preference.

Black flies may be out, but generally not too bad. The pesky non-biting May flies may be bothersome at the two stream crossings, and near North Lake, but they won't be on the ridges.

Last edited:
Hey Jade, I will do a profile when I get around to it. Should be shortly though. I recently just got the Terrain Navigator for the US Parks and have been busy planning a trip to Wrangell St Elias and also Mt Rainier so that's been eating up my time. But I will get back to my beloved catskills soon.

I'll put it on my webspace and link it here.

As far as donations go, we're an informal bunch of hikers, not fund raisers, whatever you feel is good is great. I'm not setting some minimum or whatever so the fundraising aspect of this is for itseld. Brain tumor research is something that is fairly dear to me and Darren whose original Ride for Research started the idea of doing the Devil's Path last year for charity. My mom had a brain tumor removed back in 1987 and has been suffering through a mild alzheimers though who knows if it is related or not. There is still a lot of things to learn about the brain.

Anyway, look forward for a profile soon.

The NYNJTC catskill maps as Mark mentions is pretty useful, it has a basic mileage and description on the back side of the Escarpment trail and the other marked trails too.

Jay

mark and jay.......thanks for your respective responses......
jay........I will be patient, sit tight and try not to be envious of your upcoming big adventures....
mark......think i'll add the catskills trail map to my collection

....jade

Profiles are here, Be aware the the elevation on each profile changes, i.e. it'll scale the vertical range based on what is in view, which is why you might see Burnt Knob close to the top, but in the next profile, its way down.

Based on my USGS map, the Escarpment trail from Rt 23 to WHP is new, as my USGS map only shows a trail from Peck Road and the trail to Schutt Rd is fairly new. Looks like the Escarpment used to go due south towards platte kill cove rather than to Schutt by South Mtn.

P.S. As Mark points out, that climb to Blackhead is a doozy! I didn't profile the short out and back to get to the true summit but it's not long at all.. perhaps 50ft west of the escarpment trail.

Anyway, here are the profiles:

profile_1.jpg

profile_2.jpg

profile_3.jpg

profile_4.jpg

profile_5.jpg

Jay H said:
Profiles are here, Be aware the the elevation on each profile changes, i.e. it'll scale the vertical range based on what is in view, which is why you might see Burnt Knob close to the top, but in the next profile, its way down.

Based on my USGS map, the Escarpment trail from Rt 23 to WHP is new, as my USGS map only shows a trail from Peck Road and the trail to Schutt Rd is fairly new. Looks like the Escarpment used to go due south towards platte kill cove rather than to Schutt by South Mtn.

The profiles presented that way are very desceptive! The current Long Path Guide (Long Path follows the Escarpment for all but a few miles at the southern end) has consistent profiles, which show the much more gradual characteristics of the trail. It also describes the current route.

Fred

Geez, now I'm a wee bit aprehensive.......I am a strong, fit hiker with my strengths more in the endurance category than in the speed zone. Can y'all describe the suggested fitness level of someone who is looking forward to this hike? Will there be a massage therapist available?
.......Jade

jade said:
Geez, now I'm a wee bit aprehensive.......I am a strong, fit hiker with my strengths more in the endurance category than in the speed zone. Can y'all describe the suggested fitness level of someone who is looking forward to this hike? Will there be a massage therapist available?
.......Jade

If you've got endurance, no problem! It's not a race!

Fred

All such profiles (Jay's and all that I have ever seen) tend to emphasize the vertical. Just remember that each 1 mile segment on the horizontal line is 5280'. It appears that a comparable amount of space on the vertical axis is about 500' of elevation. So the vertical scale is stretched, by a factor of about 10x. If the profile horizontal and vertical were the same scale it would be difficult to fit on a page, and you would find it difficult to see much detail in the climbs and descents.

Based on my USGS map, the Escarpment trail from Rt 23 to WHP is new, as my USGS map only shows a trail from Peck Road and the trail to Schutt Rd is fairly new. Looks like the Escarpment used to go due south towards kaaterskill cove rather than to Schutt by South Mtn.
If you have hiked the trail before the trailheads are probably the same ones you know. The base dates on the USGS quads are 1943-1945. The northern end of the trail did not exist in the 40s, however, Michael Kudish's The Catskill Forest book mentions that it existed in 1964. The short section at the southern end to Schutt Road was built about 1988, and because the trailhead is so heavily used that section is as well worn as any other section of the Escarpment Trail.

Last edited:
Update

OK Folks, Now that the Kingston dinner and the related planning is done, going to look at times and water caches seriously now. Had a great dinner, there will be a thread sooner or later on that dinner and the hikes before and after for sure. Tired but in a good way! Thanks to everybody I met at the dinner, it was wonderful. Great company, great hiking before and after, what a nice weekend. Anyway, wrong thread.

Escape the Escarpment Pledge form

Date: May 21st, Saturday
Meet: May 20th, Acra, NY at Lynch's Pot O'Gold campsite.
Direction From Rt 23 south to Schutt Rd in Haines Falls. With possible short cuts by North/South Lake to shorten the hike/bail out.

Based on Ian's and Aaron's times posted, it looks like they both roughly did the hike from 6:30AM to 8pm with about an hour of total rest stops. Perhaps we should shoot for either a 5 to 5:30am start. The campsite in Acra is close to the start so shuttling time should not be bad.

There are profiles I did which should be on Page 7.

Jay

Update

Directions to Lynch's Pot-O-Gold campsite in Acra NY:

NYS Thruway (I-87) to exit 21 off exit turn left 1/4 mile make right on 23WEST
approx. 10miles.

You will come to intersection 23W/ Rte145 stay on 23w go past Bernio's Steak house next intersection is Acra make right we are approx. 1 mile on left side If you go past Acra Manor you went too far.

Campground/lounge telephone # is 518 622 9661

Looking forward to meeting you all
Peg Lynch

Those coming from the Mass Pike, around Albany, NY you will look for I-87 south to get to exit 21.

I have also created a group online donations page that you can use to tell people how to donate online. It accepts major credit cards and is Secure.

http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/escapehike

The above is the URL and you can click on it to see. The picture I used is from a hike in 2001 that I did and is a pretty populated trailsign by South Mtn.

Jay