Esther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Is it possible to get to Esther from the toll road? (My software shows a trail leading to Esther from the toll road at mile 2.85) If not, what is the quickest way there?

I was looking at doing that route sometime this winter. It only looks about 1/2 mile from the toll road to the top of Esther but it would be a tough climb in deep snow....the contours look pretty close together on my map. Let me know if you plan to go.

-Phil

I know back in the 80s that route was considered insane (or so I've read) - massive amounts of blowdown. Becareful of spruce traps.

peace
Oysterhead

Hey Neil,

Andrew did this route:
http://alavigne.homeip.net/newHomeP...y/2004/EstherMountain2004/index.jsp?navpage=2

I've got the GPS points from his hike plugged into my GPS. You can see on his topo map exactly where he went too, with detailed instructions for the turnoff.

I was hoping to do this route as well as Whiteface this winter. Got my surgery on Monday now, not sure when you are planning to go...

-Shayne

MrOysterhead said:
I know back in the 80s that route was considered insane (or so I've read) - massive amounts of blowdown. Becareful of spruce traps.
peace Oysterhead

It's steep, yes. But it's doable. We went in February of 2003. I seem to recall walking about 1/2 mile from the toll barrier to the trail head. The trail had been broken by a large group a few days before. It goes up a stream bed, which was frozen over. There were some good butt slides going back down too!
:D

Good luck! We might be up there this weekend. Our plans are sketchy at this point.

Last edited:
The route I'w referring to dosn't look steep at all. It leaves the toll rd. at mile 2.85 (as measured with the software) and heads east for about .75 mi. Here there's a junction: North for Esther, east for Marble mtn.

Neil, the road you see on your map is badly overgrown and thick with small balsams. Nevertheless, it's not a bad way to get over to the hiking trail, which you would then take to the start of the herdpath. There once was a maze of ski trails all over that large plateau between Whiteface and Esther with a lodge on the summit of Lookout Mt. Those trails are just as badly overgrown as the connection from the Highway to the marked trail - hence my suggestion of going all the way back to the herdpath. To add a bit more history, that road off the Highway led to the base of two rope tows that took skiers up to the base of the wall at the Wilmington Turn. This was the backup site for skiing if there was no snow (pre-snowmaking days) on Marble Mt. Skiers would be taken up in trucks from the Marble Mt. parking lot and could ski on the rope tows and then ski back down the Highway. There was a small warming hut at the base of the rope tows. I am pretty sure the building is still there hidden in a thicket of balsam, but I know I would have to look pretty hard to find it as I haven't bothered to look for it for many years.

Neil,

June before last, 2 good friends joined me on this little jaunt up Esther. We were intrigued by Johnnycake's enticing route off the toll road a short way past the toll booth. He'd done the stream a number of times in winter and it looked inviting. Without 6' of snow, and staying out of the moss-slicked stream bed, it took 4 hours of slashing to top out on Esther's ENE ridge. The faint herd path to the summit from there felt like the Northway. There were pine needles jammed into parts of our bodies we never knew would accept them. The price I paid for my stubborness about putting on long pants, were scratches and deep scrapes that caused others to stare for 4 weeks afterward. John and I have spoken about the route afterward. Its very nice, but like some bushwacks, being 50 yards left or right can make the difference between easy and a deathmarch. I think the way to do this is in deep winter, lots of consolidated snow with a good crust and stroll over the unseen garbage below.
There is another route up Esther we've been eying for years. Out of the ASRC, you can see a long ridge that comes from the north and east. In winter, the upper portions look like lots of open area. With good snow, climbing that ridge is something that looks very interesting.

I'm not too keen on shwacking that section in order to save 650 feet of elevation loss and gain. Firstly, I don't have a GPS and I have visions of thrashing around in doubt as to where the darn trail junction is. Second, there's only two of us so trail breaking won't be spread around and safety becomes an issue as well. Third, I bet it takes the same amount of time to descend along the regular herd trail (off the toll road higher up) than doing the bushwhack.
Question: why the heck hasn't that become the regular herd trail?

P.S. This link should show a map with 2 routes drawn in in yellow from the toll road to Esther. The one labeled ''Neil's junction'' is now a bushwhack, right? The one labeled ''main junction'' is the way to go, correct? Actually it looks like there's only about 400 feet max of elevation loss and gain.

http://www.adkforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=881&stc=1

Last edited:
Neil,

It wasn't about saving elevation or distance. We've done Esther many times, but the route from the toll road sounded interesting. Worst part about it, is that I'm sure we'll be back in the warm weather to try and locate John's "magic line", and I'm looking foreward to that other ridge route up.
We had a GPS running on our route, but did it by map and compass.

Did you check the link on post #4 of this thread?

My partner just begged off on this trip so it will have to wait. What a let down when you're all stoked and prepared! Thanks everyone for your input. Now at least I'm all set for when we do go.
Peakbagger, I figured you multiple rounders were doing that other route just for kicks. I was looking for the quickest and easiest way to get to #40. :)
When we do this one, prior to march 21, bien sûr, I'll post. A freeze after a thaw with klister would be awesome.

hillman1 said:
Neil--a reply from Tony Goodwin is pretty huge. I just bought his new book on hiking and snowshoeing. Adirondack legend.

Ditto those sentiments :) There are few families that have had a positive an impact on the peaks as the they have. Neil, take that post as gospel.

Last edited:
I really wish i could fill in for your partner... I've been itching for a hike now since our Blake & Colvin trip.

Meeting up with new hiking partners has taken my addiction to an all new level!!!

-Shayne