Ever Experienced This?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday...Eisenhower

Yesterday we climbed Mt. Eisenhower. When were putting our stuff in the car a van pulled up into the trailhead. It was three twenty-something guys who were going to hike. I could hear them talking about how it was only going to take them 1/2 hour to 1 hour to get to the top of Eisenhower (from the Edmund's Path). I looked at what they had - two very small packs (almost fanny pack size) and the third individual didn't have a bag at all. They proceeded to talk about the two bottles of water they had (for the three of them) and that they shouldnt need any more than that. Finally the last individual decided to grab his bottle of water - he thought he might need it. They were dressed in dress khakis, no hiking boots and the third individual had on a knitted sweater and a collared dress shirt. Definitely not good outfits for the muddy conditions they were about to encounter. Just as they were going to take off, a Ranger showed up and stopped them from leaving. He asked them if they were going to head up. He gave them a very stearn warning about the trail and the conditions they were going to encounter and they would probably have to be rescued if they continued. He then asked them where they were headed, and they said that some of their friends were going from Mt. Webster to Mt. Washington and they wanted to meet up with them at the top of Mt. Eisenhower. I just hope their friends were more prepared then they were. I usually feel over-packed sometimes, but seeing what they had, they were definitely under-packed and not prepared. Especially since there were a few dark clouds over our heads - and a weather report of scattered thunderstorms possible. It also was colder than you would think. As we were climbing up - we could see our breath and the temps were in the 50's. The trail was so wet - and there was a slight breeze. I'm just glad the Ranger appeared when he did, they definitely wouldn't have listened to us - and we would probably have been watching their rescue on the news.

nope, I don't bother people. I don't what know what their plans are or what they intend to do. I know when hiking with my son, we may start on a long trail, but with the intentions of going maybe 1/2 mile and turning back.

I carry a very small pack in summer and sometimes wear trail runners. I guess this isn't appropriate for summer white mountain hiking....... :confused: :confused:

I know it's harsh, but I say let them make their mistakes. I made a few mistakes when I first started hiking and I think it made me enjoy the outdoors even more because of it.