Ever Find Something -- OLD?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
People have been in the Northeast for quite sometime. I don't need to go through the history of the Native Americans and Europeans. However, when we discuss most of the artifacts that we find on trail and off trail they're generally circa 1890 and onward.

Has anyone ever found something really old, whether it's a thing or a mark on a tree or a painting in a cave or something like that. And I'm not talking about something you can find mentioned in the White Mountain Guide. I'm talking about something older and perhaps more obscure... pre-logging days.

If you know of something and want to share you don't have to discuss location, GPS coordinates or even show a picture. Things have been discussed here and there but it would be interesting to consolidate it a little.

Please no, "I found this digital watch from the 80's -- it still worked..." or "well, the guidebook mentions an old railroad switch still standing..."

-Dr. Wu

Found some shell fossils in Baxter. Can't show them to you, I left them there. ;)

Found some apple trees, cellar holes, a cemetary, and remnants of a wool/ bobbin mill off Tripoli rd. If you go to the Historical society in Lincoln, NH they may tell you where it is. They don't want it advertised on the 'net. The Historical Society doesn't want the artifacts disturbed. If you PM me and promise not to expose it to the world on the internet or a future book I'll let you know where it is.

There are about 25 headstones. 5 mark veterans. the cemetary is maintained, the veterans were marked with flags when I was there Memorial Day this past spring. The vets are from the Revolution war died 1811, the war of 1812, and the Civil war. The most recent headstone is dated 1858.

They must be some old apple trees. I may go back and see how the apples taste this fall.

Reactions: dms
I found a porcelain insulator from an old telephone line - either on Moosilauke or Garfield, don't remember which - I think both have had telephone service to the summit at one time or another. If you look carefully you can still see where an old telephone line crosses the trail about 1/2 way up Garfield.

In the Sierras I've found obsidian flakes - residue from making obsidian arrowheads. Find a spot that has good views, near water/game - someplace where you'd likely take a break yourself, and look around. This is where you'll find them.

One of the Blue Blaze trails in eastern Connecticut passes right through what was a once a native "dancing place"
Just a few yards off the trail are boulders with chip carved petroglyphs.
This site was used as a "solar station" as the boulders are arranged to mark the summer and winter solstices, the spring and fall equinox, and the planting and harvest dates of green corn. The site dates from 3200 to 900 BCE and beyond and predates native agriculture
I happened on this site quite by accident while on a hike this past winter
By doing a little research I found this site is well documented but as it is on public land and hard to protect, the location is kept quiet.
Here's a photo of one of the boulders
You may be able to make out a serpent on the left side and a bear with quartz teeth to the right
_36_Boulder.jpg

Last edited:
As a Scout in the early 70's I was on a multi-day canoe trip down the Delaware south of Port Jervis. One evening me and another kid went exploring the rocky, water eroded shore of the island we were camped on. In the millions of rocks below the bank, next to the river, he reached down and picked up a hollowed or carved out rock a bit bigger than his hand. It looked like an elongated bowl, a Mortar. I reached down and picked up what turned out to be the match; a stone Pestle. Without thinking I gave him the Pestle. I understand he kept them, didn't turn them in or anything. We assumed it was Native, but they could have been early settler.

It's amazing the 2 pieces were still there next to each other.