Exploring Thoreau's Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Been quiet here ... suppose everyone has been out frostbitin'? ... so here's a book recommendation to help think about paddling and hiking.

When out Christmas shopping I came across The Wildest Country, Exploring Thoreau's Maine by J. Parker Huber published by the AMC. Bought it for myself.

Thoreau made at least four trips to Maine and probably a few to southern Maine as lecturer but three trips were to the North Woods in 1846, 1853 and 1857. Bangor was his point of "departure" where he had traveled by either steamer or rail. From there it was mostly river and cart paths and included the West Branch of the Penobscot, the East Branch, Moosehead, Chesuncook, Umbazooksus, Chamberlain, Telos, Webster and Matagamon Lakes, many portages and several hikes, most notably Kineo and Katahdin.

The author traces Thoreau's trips and presents an inspiring journey complete with maps, descriptions, excerpts from Thoreau's journals and essays, history, flora and fauna and tracks and vantage points for a collection of artists and photographers. To me, these are things which add tremendously to any hike or paddle and this book successfully covers so much in a style that lends entertainment in reading over what could have easily been a dull academic read ... perhaps the topic itself has something to do with that.

If you get your hands on it, read it from cover to cover, including the footnotes where I frequently find gems, perhaps a bit of trivia but enlightening for a good outdoor adventure. Then plan your segments ... I suspect you may find yourself, as I did, eager to check out some of the obstacles, milestones and scenery that Huber describes. For my part I'm interesting now in exploring a 40 + or - mile loop beginning and ending in Millinocket and which encompasses several lakes and ponds, Millinocket Stream (and nearby logging road) and a handful of remote waterside campsites. Tis the season to dream up such things.

Thanks for the head's up. This book sounds worthwhile. Thoreau's own The Maine Woods, which as I recall covers all three of those trips, is a great read and widely available, including free, online.