Expose Yourself - Saturday 6/16/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
:)

Above the treeline exposure only - in case you were wondering. :)

Anybody interested in hiking Franconia Ridge on Saturday? It looks like a good day for some early above the treeline hiking.

My first choice is an early start to hike north to south getting Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, and Flume. This would require a car spot. Hiking Old Bridle Path to Franconia Ridge Trail to Osseo to Wilderness and out to Lincoln Woods works out to approximately 14.5 miles and 4,800 feet. Some distance can be saved by heading back over Liberty and taking Liberty Springs out. Additional distance and elevation can be saved by taking Flume Slide out (this can be an interesting exit). I believe we can be past Flume and heading out before the potential late afternoon showers start.

If a car spot cannot be arranged then a loop over Lafayette & Lincoln via OBP, FRT, and FWT would be my second choice. Estimated distance and elevation is 8.9 miles and 3,600 feet.

Liberty and Flume via Liberty Spring and FRT is my third choice with a distance and elevation of 10.2 miles and 4,250 feet.

I’m working on a fallback plan in case the weather takes a dive. For now it looks like a good day for some exposed hiking.

I expect the hike to be at a moderate pace.

If you’re interested in getting exposed on Franconia Ridge with me please respond to this thread or by PM.

We can plan the exact details as soon as we know if a full traverse is possible.

Earl

;)

Last edited:
Funny! I had not previously read that post. Deet expense probably goes up under those conditions. :)

Thanks Tom.

This 'event' is actually an AT thing, hiking naked on the solstice.

It wasn't the solstice, but I did meet a naked guy on one of the Bigelows (I'll skip any more jokes here!) who said he wanted to be the first to do the NE HH naked! :eek: I assured him I would not be trying to beat him! :D

A slight change has been suggested for a traverse.

Although it adds some distance, approximately 1.2 miles but with an easier ascent, I’ve been told to consider going up the Skookumchuck and Garfield Ridge trails as the initial part of a traverse and then follow the Franconia Ridge Trail from the summit of Lafayette.

This approach is fine with me. I've previously hiked Greenleaf, Old Bridle Path, and Falling Waters trails. This will give me some new scenery.

Another hiker that can also help with a car spot is needed.

Any takers????

arm said:
if you're hiking solo, there's a paved bike path through the notch ... Recreational Trail on this map:

http://www.franconianotchstatepark.com/franconiahikingfinal.pdf

all downhill from Lafayette lot to Flume lot ... nice quick downhill bike ride, if you hike up Flume Slide, down Old Bridle Path
The bike path goes as far as the trailhead for Skookumchuck and is a pleasant walk on its own.

Doug

I’ve decided this week’s hike will be a round trip to Lafayette and Lincoln. I plan to hike the Skookumchuck Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, and Franconia Ridge Trail.

This route works out to a distance and elevation of 12 miles and 4,300 feet.

I am currently thinking along the lines of arriving at the trailhead at around 7:00am for an early start.

If you are interested in joining the hike please let me know by responding to this thread or contact me by PM. The time is flexible and I’m open to a later start. ;)

Earl

:)