Fatality on Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
My condolences to friends and family.

Canadian suffers fatal heart attack while hiking
MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. A 50-year-old Canadian collapsed and died while hiking on New Hampshire's Mount Washington today.
Fish and Game Lieutenant Douglas Gralenski identified the victim as Jean Moreau of Becancour, Quebec. Gralenski said Moreau collapsed on on the south side of the mountain at about four this afternoon. Attempts to revive him failed. He was carried to the summit and then off the mountain.

Klutz said:
How sad. Least he died while he was doing what he loved.

It is always disturbing to those of who work in Pinkham Notch that a fatality has occured. We love where we work, our office "wallpaper" changes minute by minute and no scene is ever exactly like another. We know that Fate lurks in the clouds and shadows, on the peaks and in the valleys, and can be waiting above or below any rock, tree or water crossing. We are frequently in awe of the power of Fate that envelops our environment.

Yesterday I was notified by telephone to expect NH F&G and volunteers going thru the Tollhouse late in the day. I asked whether it was an emergency situation , and should I handle traffic as to expedite their access. No, I was told, it is a Recovery.

My heart sank.

For anyone who was in the Whites this weekend, I don't have to say a word about how stunning an August weekend can be here. Bluebird skies, perfect temperatures, light breezes to keep the bugs at bay, and low humidity made for near perfect hiking weather. A perfect day to rejoice in life, a perfectly fine day to say " merci, je t'aime, je me souviens, au revoir."

Fate was waiting for this gentleman, he didn't suffer a long illness or a period of incapacitation. He was taken quickly. My heart aches for the family and the companions who were with him when he collapsed. I commend the MWSP, AMC, OBS, NH F&G, and volunteer responders who recovered the vicitim and accomodated the grieving family with skill and professionalism.

I remain saddened.

Breeze.