favorite campgrounds in NH/ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
camden hills state park is nice if you want to do a couple of smaller hikes and explore midcoast maine. The trails start right at the campground. There is also a campground in deer isle/stonington area on the sunset peninsula which is pretty nice, and pretty rustic. There isn't really any hiking out there, but lots of exploring the maine coast, and you can also rent kayaks or bring your own kayaks out there, it is gorgeous. A lot quieter than acadia. When i was out there w/ a friend, we bought lobsters off the pier and cooked them w/ some corn at the campground and had a bottle of wine, best meal i have ever eaten.

hikingmom said:
Sorry I can't ditto X and SherpaJohn. When I stayed at Crawford Notch General Store and Campground the porta-potties were DISGUSTING. It was 10 years or more ago, however. We always enjoyed Zealand and the two Sugarloaf campgrounds in Twin Mountain (all Forest Service sites). They are much quieter in general than commercial campgrounds. The Sugarloaf campgrounds can be booked in advance through the internet. Try www.reserveusa.com

The campground is run by new owners who are very Business and camper savy.. Plus.. they have a brand spankin new bath house for showering! No more unisex showers.

Did anyone mention that Cathedral Pines in Eustice is a must for car campers? Definitely. Tentsites 68 and 69 I recall were the best waterfront sites.

We stayed several times at Tarry-Ho Campground in Twin Mountain, NH. It has since changed hands but the then owner was happy to help us spot a car and then give us a ride to another trailhead ... for which assistance we were more than happy to give a good tip.

By far the nicest one I've been to is Mount Desert Campground on the northern tip of the Sommes Sound. It has amazing campsites with huge tent platforms, some right on top of the rocks that look out over the water. Good facilities.

I went last year their last weekend of being open (mid september).

BrentD22 said:
There are some white and green cabins somewhere off of the Kanc. I can't remember for the life of me where or what they are called, but I do recall the owners being very very nice people that allowed my group of 10 (kids from a Boys & Girls Club) stay for free one night. They said we do so much for the community they couldn't amagine charging us. We payed them anyway because we thought it was the right thing to do. If anyone knows the name of those places post it. I recommend those cabins greatly!

A wild guess, but the only cabins I can think of are Wilderness Cabins, which are on Bear Notch Road, just beyond the Swift River.

Excellent thread :)

I'm biased, but......

I'm a little biased because I am a State of NH employee and I get a 50% discount at all state campgrounds. I'm a big fan of Lake Francis Campground and White Lake (quiet, and the Loons were cool to listen to). I'm staying at an Umbagog remote site at the end of August, so hopefully that will rank high too.
Only heard good things about Lafayette, but have not stayed there myself.

If you don't need facilities, any of the public lands get my vote.

Mt Blue state park is the noisest, most congested place I've ever stayed, and they show movies on the weekends. However, the beach area is very nice, and it's close to lots of great hiking.

Stephen Phillips is a great place, just make sure to check if you're getting a walk in site.

When we stayed at a Katahidin Ironworks site we had to pay the camping fee, PLUS the day use fee...close to $50 for four of us for one night at a tentsite beside the road.

Compass Pond cabin on the Golden road is one of my favorites, there are three others the paper company rents. It's about $100 a night, no limit on occupancy.

I stayed at Cathedral Pines once years ago, but in the overflow area...it was fine for me as I was away from other people. However, when I'm in that area these days, I camp at the Bigelow Preserve.

In the Acadia area, I've camped at a campground on Somes Sound, and another in Bass Harbor. I found both to be very crowded. I also stayed at Lamoine State Park, but there were signs all around that said to lock your stuff up.

For winter,we like Monadnock State Park. It's close,it's easy,and there are lot's of good trails..

For summer,Moon Island on Squam is a great spot-if you can canoe or kayak-otherwise it's a loooonng swim! :D