Final WM/NH 4K 11/13/04: No. 48, Tecumseh….No More to Go Before I Go

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
When I chose this mountain as my finish over two years ago, I doubted I would make it. I was pushing 40, out of shape, a city girl afraid of her own shadow.

Tecumseh was a dream, but a known reference point. It’s the closest 4000 Footer to my home, the one I see every day. A bizarre choice for most, but a logical decision for me. As this summer progressed, I started to think I might make it. When I recently decided that I would be moving away from the Whites, I pushed harder to finish. I sit here a bit awed and amazed that the adventure is over….

As usual it was a late start. What else is new? Then again, I was yet again blessed by the weather gods: blue skies, a slight breeze, warmer than expected temps. I set off with my excellent entourage from the ski area, walking through an open fall forest.

Just above the viewpoint, winter conditions greeted us with ice and a base layer of snow. We all made it up bareboot without a problem, hopping from rock to rock and along the crusted edges.

Just before the summit, I had the worst overwhelming urge to turn back. Part of me just didn’t want it to be over with. I can now understand why some hikers continue on to other lists. The adventure cannot end. But, I needed to finish this to move on, so I kept forward around the last bend.

I was greeted at the summit by a lone bottle of the Doctor gift wrapped on the summit cairn. No one in the group would admit to having planted it. No problem. We dubbed it the “spirit of VFTT”, cracked the sucker, and warmed our souls! We followed this appertif with a genuinely civilized repast of crackers and cheese, hot soup, and a bottle of champagne. It took toe and hand warmers to remain on the summit for that long, but what a sporting group accompanied me!

Instead of being toasted, I recognized those with me: my husband, Jack, for being supportive and understanding in accepting my desire to make this journey (and for redefining true love -- hiking Owl’s Head so the wife can peakbag it); my hiking buddy, Mike, for starting me on this adventure by suggesting hiking Moosilauke, afterwards pointing out that it was on a “list”, then doing a lot of the tough stuff with me (including bagging the Bonds on a whim instead of a day hike); Michael J, as my VFTT representative of supportive encouragement and good advice; and SkiMom, my latest VFTT buddy, who embodies so much of what is positive about this site that the “spirit” of VFTT was on the summit.

The group started down with varying levels of footwear for the descent, from 10 points (me) to bareboot (SkiMom and Mike). It was an uneventful decent and another usual stroll out for me – complete with Michael ribbing me about trying to make this a two day event. ;) But, hey, we made it out at dusk, with out a single headlamp blazing. That’s a push for me!!! :)

The true celebration for me was back in the parking lot. Another 4 safely done. The last….

An excellent celebratory dinner followed with friends at the local tavern. It was great to have a nice relaxing end to the day.

So, I am done. I finished a stronger woman, both physically and mentally. I am no longer afraid of my own shadow or things that go bump in the night. I have confidence in my own ability and can trust my own judgment in the woods. It may just be a “list” to some, but it became more than that to me along the way. It was a learning experience, a physical challenge, and an exploration of the beauty of the Whites.

In numbers (which I added up for giggles), it took two years, two months, and 14 days. I hiked over 60% of the list solo. I have hiked almost 300 miles – from Earth to the Space Station. I’ve done 102,915 feet of elevation gain (which very coincidentally is exactly nine hikes up Everest from base camp).

But, what I will remember is each mountain, each unique experience, from first reaching treeline on Moosilauke; my first solo of the Osceolas; my surreal experience on Jefferson; meeting a fox on Carter Dome; being buzzed by an A-10 on West Bond; my first moment of thinking I might seriously be in a world of hurt on No. Tripyramid; attempting to amputate my finger on my first solo overnight on Liberty :D; sunrises from Lakes of the Clouds and the summits of Cabot, Carrigain, and Madison; sunsets on Wildcat, Bond, Cabot, Carrigain, Liberty, and Moriah; and one last moment alone on the summit of Tecumseh, listening to the wind blow through the trees.

Each hike was another adventure with its own beauty to be discovered. I’ve come to realize that life is like that too. I’m off to my next adventure….

Last, but, not least, thank you all for reading along and helping me reaching this goal. I appreciate your sharing your own journeys which spurred me on, your excellent advice, and encouragement.

Congratulations on both your accomplishment and a superbly written report. I am generally allergic to long posts; you and sli74 are exceptions. :)

Steve

Periwinkle: I have enjoyed reading your adventures along the way. I wish you many more.

Congratulations! Your story tells of a personal side to this sort of challenge that few reveal but I suspect many experience. The rewards of the effort, as you point out, are many, not the least of which are the new friendships with whom to share these joys. Happy hiking ... there are more!

Hey congratulations.

I finished about 3 months ago, in about the same amount of time as you. And I too started on Moosilauke.

But I can see that you are way ahead of me on writing the essay to go along with your application form!

Wow!

Periwinkle: What a truly moving trip report. I felt as though I was there along with you. Finishing the NH48 truly meant something special to you, and that came through in your post. Congratulations!!! Will you make a visit to the mainland for next spring's 4K dinner?

Peri,

It was an honor and a pleasure to have joined you for #48.

I remember the first time I dropped into the store after a hike to say hello, finding myself out on that great front porch with my feet up and an iced tea in hand, hanging out with you, Basecamp, and the dogs. My only regret is that I was hiking and you were working; our schedules never quite matched.

But with time I saw your trips get bolder, your stamina and adventurism improve, and a lot of fun start to shine through your trip reports. For some people the lists are just lists, but I do believe you found (as I did) a lot more out there than just a checklist, but a real exploration of world and self. The smile and light in your eyes that you had on Saturday really reflected a great summer, a great achievement.

You can't take the blame for starting late on this trip. We were all late (and all arrived at the same time!) It was funny to start by digging my car out from under 5" of snow, then drive two hours north to the mountains where the ground was bare!

It was a great hike up. In typical form, we made a ton of layer stops in the first quarter mile. :) No worries, the wind wouldn't pick up until much later on the summit. The roar of the snow guns over at the ski area was impressive; I'd never heard them before.

I agree with Alpinista's assessment of the trail - icy in enough spots that I was glad to use my 6-point instep crampons for the descent. They weren't strictly needed, but they made my feet a lot happier.

The dogs were a ton of fun! I can't even attempt to describe them, all I can say is to check out my pictures which are up but uncaptioned (and the color is yeck - I should have brought the good camera instead of the Elph).

It was wonderful, congratulations, and I hope you can make it back in the spring for the banquet and maybe another hike or two!!!
:)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your accomplishment! And your summary of the day was beautiful--I think anyone reading it, whether or not he or she was personally into completing lists, could truly appreciate the meaning it can have to someone. Your pride and humility came through quite poignantly. Bravo!

Peri: heartfelt congratulations to you! You definitely put into words the feelings that many of us have while in the mountains that we love. It's refreshing to meet someone who "did it her way"! I've not known you personally for long, but am so happy to have met you, shared a bit of the doctor ;), had a few laughs and look forward to when our paths should cross again.

Please - don't become a stranger! Good luck on completing the Nantucket 100!

Thank you all for all the congratulations and compliments! Much appreciated!!

I can't wait to celebrate this one more time at the 4's dinner. I'll be seeing a few of you there!

And I think the "spirit of VFTT" from Tecumseh needs to take a ride to Barnes Field in January, Dani. Y'all can join in toasting in person. That would be pretty cool!

Michael's pictures really captured the day. Thanks, man! You know I'll be boostin' 'em when I get a chance!

This has all been fantastic -- the hikes, VFTT, this one last hurrah on the Forums. Thank you all again. You're the best!!!!!