Fingers crossed.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Just on the other side of town where I live, Kings Park, this happened today around 3PM. Saw the helicopters flying overhead. Knew something was up. I hope all ends well but something tells me it wont. Keep your fingers crossed and your life jackets on.

I would consider Smithtown Bay open water. The Nissequogue River empties out right where the incident happened and the tidal currents can be very strong there. Paddlers usually head upstream from the mouth but there are many recreational boaters and paddlers there on weekends. Coldfeet and I have been here several times.

Be safe.

Last edited:
SMITHTOWN BAY — The body of missing kayaker Patrick Luca was found Saturday after a search that included the Coast Guard and Suffolk County Marine Bureau. Officials said Luca, 42, of Smithtown was kayaking in an inflatable kayak with his five-year-old son on the Nissequogue River before he went missing on Friday afternoon.

A private fishing boat found the kayak and the boy in his life jacket bobbing in the water and shaking violently. According to officials, the boy said that his father went down under the water but never came back up.

Sad ending, his body was found without a life jacket. 40 y/o man who was a police officer for 20 years.

Chris and I have paddled there a few times and the water can really get churned up. I believe we went there one time and decided to call it quits when we kept getting spun around, it was quit scary.

Just 2 weeks ago my buddy borrowed both of my boats and paddled there with his kids. I found out later that they rolled my 12ft pungo over and when I mentioned that it was good to have your jacket on, his 12 y/o son said he wasn't wearing one. I told my friend that he can never borrow my boats again unless they wear life jackets. Sh-t happens, wear your jacket.

Sad ending. I was in Norwalk that weekend at the Yak Jam n heard the anouncements all day on my VHF radio.

I see so many people in the Sound not wearing PFDs. I just don't get it.

Like seeing so many people not wearing bike helmets.

Hey Dave, how are the new knees doing?