Finising and Starting the 46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my notes and the "Class of 2002" was 221 46ers.

Mike,
My data is not perfect, because the format for the dates is somewhat skewed. I have done my best to fix the formatting of the data, but with 5K data points, it would take a lot of time to fix everything. My spreadsheet is just for rough statistical analysis.

-percious

Pete Hickey quote: "Nobody starting on Donaldson will be changing, now that Calkin's Brook is becoming popular. The traditional route made it very hard to begin there."

That's interesting Pete. When we went up Calkin's in the winter of 1990, we arrived at Donalson first, then went for the other two to complete one long day hike from a lower level tent base camp. What exactly was the "traditional route" that you refer to?

I started NY climbing on Lower Wolfjaw (group decision) and chose Whiteface to finish on so I could celebrate with a ski down the auto road.

The traditional route is up the red marked path to Blueberry lean-to, just past the leanto there is a cairn by a bridge. I believe that is the traditional route.

From what I understand Caulkins was an illegally cut trail that became extremely popular and might even become the new "official route".

S.

Of the first 2859 Forty-Sixers almost all went up the Sewards from the Blueberry Lean-to route. However, at least one person started on Donaldson. Each summit has had somebody start and finish on it. The trick is to find a combination of first and last no one has done. For me I began on Algonquin and finished on Skylight. At the time of publication of the last 46R book only one person had done that. Perhaps with a little research a combination can be found that was not done. Perhaps Start on Emmons and finish on Donaldson? Is there an available list compiled where one could search first and last? Many new 46Rs have been added since the 2859 listed in the book.

Okay, so now it's official.

Started on Cascade 3/15/04, ended on Phelps 10/9/04. What a ride! :p

If you did the 46 twice in the same order would you have begun and ended on each one of the peaks?????

:confused:

For my first round of the Summer 46 I started on Marcy on September 1,1990 and finished on Dix on September 1, 1991.
For my first round of the Winter 46 I started on Colden back in January 1992, finishing on Seward on March 13, 1994.
Chose Marcy for everyone else's reason, the highest in NYS, then got addicted to hiking.

First & Last 46's

I suppose everyone has his/her personal reasons for the first and last ADK-46's. Here are mine.

While I live in Connecticut, and a backpacker for decades, I had for years defaulted to the "real mountains of the west". For example, in July 2002, I trekked through the Desolation Wilderness just west of Lake Tahoe with my two 20-something daughters, both of whom who live in Califofornia. That was a fantastic trip that included snow fields on July 4th, and some spectacular views of Lake Tahoe coming down from 9400-foot Dicks Pass.

When I returned to Connecticut, I decided to find some "real mountains" in the Northeast to tackle. Via an Internet search, I discovered to my delight first the Adirondacks, and then the ADK46R web site. As a "proof of concept" and a mid-level challenge, I tackled Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge in June 2003. I was hooked. From there, I completed 16 peaks between June - October 2003. In October 2003, I decided that Esther and Whiteface would be my last two peaks, and for these reasons. First, I would invite my two daughters to climb with me. Second, my wife would meet the three of us on top with the camera and champagne.

Between June - September 2004, I completed 28 more peaks. On September 18, 2004, my two daughters flew in from California and joined me for the trek up Esther and Whiteface. My wife met us on top with the camera, encouraging waves, and a truly great bottle of champagne. I am now a proud ADK46R, No. 5xxx to be determined.

My next quest is the Top 100 in the Northeast. Any thoughts on how best to approach this goal?

Last edited: