Finising and Starting the 46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started on Street at -24 at winter Gathering 6.5. Had attempted to start on Seymour, but that seems to be another swimming story ;). I am planning to complete both the 46 and 111/115 on Haystack. Why? Because I saw it from Marcy. That's all it took.

Started on Dix in 1980 because I thought it was easier than Marcy. Finished on Allen because it was the only one left. Started Winter 46 on Porter, finished on Iroquois.

SherpaKroto said:
I am planning to complete both the 46 and 111/115 on Haystack. Why? Because I saw it from Marcy. That's all it took.

And that would be a nice finish. Haystack is/was one of my favorite hikes. :)

Started on Cascade as a winter hike last March ('03). Been hooked since.

Hopefully October 9th I will climb Phelps for #46.

I started on Wright in 1976 carrying a backpack up and over the MacIntyres to Lake Colden and eventually over the range. It makes me tired thinking about it.I finished last year on Redfield with my brother Willie (already a 46er) and my son Eric.

I took Willie to his first peak - Cascade - and he was hooked. The same threesome that finished with me also was together when Willie finshed on Seymour.

My son Eric started on Esther as a nine year old two years ago. He is now a 21er. I wonder which mountain will be his 46th?

First mountain was Cascade 12 years ago with boys aged 3 and 5. Second was Marcy 3 years ago. Didn't know what a 46er was until 2 years ago. 18 mountains left and planning to finish on Rocky some day soon. Reason: I've heard great things about the hike and can't wait to do it so that should get me moving on the other mountains.

Started on Giant in 1981. Had hiked the Presidentials in college and enjoyed it. Since I lived about 1.5 hours away from the ADKs it was easy to start. Went with a friend.

Finished on Allen in 2004. Went a number of years without climbing due to family. Got back into it again via a friend inviting me to climb Mt Washington in the winter of 2002.

So the Whites have been my inspiration to hike the 46!!!

KZ

rhihn...yes, I'm very aware of the "fleeting" views! My time is very flexible (retired this past spring), but my sons' will not be. I'm currently sitting at 39 peaks...next summer, after bug season, I'll hike the 5 Dixes and Sawteeth, leaving Haystack as my last. About all I'll be able to do is schedule a weekend in September which will be suitable for them and hope for the best! I love September hiking; I seem to have better weather then than any other month, on average.

First peak was Cascade in 2000, on recommendation of a paddling friend. Foggy and no views; didn't like it. Didn't hike another peak until Haystack over a year later. LOVED it! Just finished this past June on Emmons. I chose June 10th on Emmons to honor the original 3 46-Rs (Clark, Marshall & Marshall) who did their 46th peak on Emmons, June 10, 1925.

Didn't realize that Clark and the Marshall's finished on Emmons. Makes me feel better that I finished there too! Thanks for the scoop.

First was Giant, in 1983. Number Two was Cascade, 15 years later; did Giant again the following day. Finished on Whiteface on the 19th anniversary of that first Giant climb.

Finished the White Mountain Fours (on West Bond) two days before the 25th anniversary of my first (Washington) in New Hampshire, 79 days after finishing the Adirondack High Peaks.

Recently finished the 115 on Camel's Hump, on September 11, almost 27 years after that initial Washington climb.

Thanks, Percious, for doing all that work. I'd been thinking of compiling such a list myself, and you saved me a lot of work. I wonder how people managed to start on Hough or South Dix. They must have intentionally bypassed summits on the way.

Do you remember noticing if the six people who started on Couchsachraga all ended on Marcy (as if they'd worked their way up the list in order by elevation)?

Raymond, congratulations on your 115!

I was also wondering about the two who did Emmons as their first hike without having done Donaldson.

Much like KZKlimber, I started on Giant,in 1992, because my friend Charlie Scott Knew I would like the open approach. Finished on Allen because I think I wanted to do the toughest one last. I'm a procrastinator!

My first "unofficially" was Marcy on a Chingakook summer camping trip, circa 1975. It was fun being loud and crazy at Marcy Dam with everyone (my, how your perspective changes!!!) but Marcy was an endless slog through drizzle and fog to reach a summit with 20 foot views. Hated every second of it.

My second was the following year when we did Algonquin from Lake Colden. That was awesome. Great day, though the route was rugged with a full pack. I did about a dozen before I decided I wanted to do the 46. So, I started counting from that date forward, which was 1998, on a traverse of Cascade and Porter from Cascade Lakes to Marcy Airport.

After that rough first outing on Marcy I decided to save it for last. It was tough, but also fun to sit for an hour on Gray, and then 3 hours on Skylight and stare at it, knowing I could run up and grab it without any effort. Seymour was my 45, or official "unofficial" 46th.

Winter I started on Phelps, and will finish on Giant and Colden for personal reasons. I will also finish both my Solo46, and EverySeason46 on another Cascade to Porter to Marcy Airport traverse for sentimental reasons as well.

I love hearing of people saving last peaks for special reasons. I saved Marcy and was treated with having the busiest peak in the ADKs all to myself for over an hour, and got to bid her goodnight as I left the summit.

As for Emmons as a first peak, I'm sure that happened years ago when Emmons was hiked from the East side via the NPT. That used to be the usual route to her. I wonder if they hiked it with the Hermit as their guide? I know Doc Phelps did the Sewards with The Hermit (Noah John Rondeau) and it was that trip that got made her want to complete the mission. Which she did as #47.

My first was Marcy during summer camp at Chingakook as well, in the mid 80's.
But I did it again with my wife in 96, and started counting from there.
Finished on Marshall.

I started on Algonquin and ended on Sawteeth like AlpineSummit. I suppose great minds think alike. But the underlying direction of this thread is starting on milk and ending on heroin. The other way around is man bites dog. Redoing the Great Range then Sawteeth is a great way to finish. And Algonquin is a fine start. I could see Wright as a starter as it is easy to do as you ascend Algonquin. They are all great.

I stared on Nippletop (on Saturday 9-25-04!!!)

This weekend was my first time hiking in the Adirondacks and I can just say.................I'll be back! The Fall Foliage is absoultely beautiful over there right now!!

Way to go Michelle! How about some winter peaks, since snow comes early up there. Lots of us want to do the peaks in Winter, so you'll be sure to have company. -ALGonquin Bob

When I tell my non-hiker coworkers about my treks in the Adirondacks, ol' Nippletop seems to be their favorite...