First SNOW of the season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Yes I know there has been some snow at the higher summits, but this is the first widespread snowfall for areas even outside the mountains. It is going to be a highly elevation dependent storm. Late tonight and into tomorrow, a strong clipper is coming through and taking on a negative tilt, this will change areas over to snow. The higher you are and generally more north the better the chance. The mountains above 3000 feet, this could be a rather significant snow storm with a heavy 4-8 inches, some areas could get more. For other areas it could be that 1-3 inches on grassy surfaces that gets you excited and ready for winter! This is for Northern New England, VT, NH and ME. Anywhere from Rutland, Claremont, Augusta, north is where I think you have a better chance of seeing any snowfall. Of course it is highly elevation dependent so if you dont have any snow at your house all it could take is going up a few hundred feet. The wrap around snowfall and upslope will continue into Thursday night in the mountains, so things will be getting very wintery and white! I may need to hike this weekend now..-Mattl

Snow is definitely on the way for the mountains. It may be even a little slick in the notches at night, if it comes down hard enough. It is November, after all! Bring it on!

Edit....anybody else like to chime on amounts in the mountains? Chances are this isn't going to be a big deal where people live.

grouseking

Last edited:
We've barely gotten any snow in the past 6 months, what makes you think we're going to start getting any now? I'll believe it when I see it.

-Dr. Wu

The mountains are really getting hit with heavy snow, the snowline is about 3200 feet right now, but will be dropping this afternoon and get very low with upslope by tomorrow and through the week. This ended up being too warm for any of the valleys, but its early in the year. Better pick this weekend to hike if you can, areas above 4000 feet will have 5-10 inches of snow with more in some places. :) -Mattl

Watching the temps drop...

You've probably seen this before, but it not... it's a good graphical vertical temperature profile from the Mt Washington Observatory:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/arvtp/

I have been watching it off and on all day as the freezing line has slowly crept down. Skis at the ready... would love to make a few turns this weekend.

NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-
INCLUDING THE CITY OF...LITTLETON
1259 PM EST TUE NOV 6 2007

.NOW...
LOOK FOR LIGHT RAIN TO MIX WITH AND POSSIBLY CHANGE TO LIGHT SNOW
ABOVE 1200 FEET ACROSS NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE THROUGH 300 PM.
TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE MID 30S...SO LITTLE OR NO SNOW
ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED.

Front passed. Let the dreaded upslope begin. :)

I'm happy to report that while driving north on 93 this afternoon, on the hill N of Ashland, NH, Mt. Moosilauke was out of the clouds and definatly covered in snow.

Carr Mtn (3450ft.) was also looking pretty white to a few hundred feet below the summit.

Nothing on Stinson Mtn. (2900ft.)

This was at about 2 this afternoon.

Last edited:
I spoke to some of the Observers on MW this afternoon, and unofficially they are over the 10 inch mark for the storm!!!

Check the webcams tomorrow!

Hopefully whatever falls sticks around for this weekend. This weekend I'm getting out!

18°F at the summit, 55mph winds, in the clouds with barely any visibility.
Typical Mt Washington, sounds like winter's here!

The report from Garfield is impressive as well. 2600 feet the snow was down to. Mount Washington had almost 11 inches, but its extremely hard to measure snow in the heavy wind they get, and considering they only got 1 inch of melted precip it shows how difficult it is to measure. I say that because they were under precip total of over 2 inches. Jackson NH got over 2 inches of rain. So I can imagine some places maybe around 4300 feet and above recieved 15 inches or so. The mountains look beautiful today and more upslope is coming in today.

From the Mount Washington website. :)

110709-lg.jpg

shit where did I throw my gaitors, oh yeah I threw out my insoles to my boots last year, wait there's my gaitors, oh yeah broken strap I forgot about to fix on them ( new ones this year?) pack my fleece pants? wheres my balacava? oh the changing of seasons in NH, last but not least, what the heck am I going to climb tommorow Im so sick I definetly cant go to work :eek: ;)