First Trip to the Adirondacks!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Sorry, I put this in the wrong spot. I can be trained though. I found the spot for it under Trip Reports under New England and posted it there. I know that maybe it should go in the New York part, but I want my pals from New England to know what I'm up to, too. Thanks

Heres my pics: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572456877eqdsAk?vhost=outdoors
Hi, for those who don't know me, my name is Sunshine Chris and I am new as a poster to this former. However, I have been posting on RocksonTop for about a year now. I usually hike with Dave Bear or solo. So, anyways, I was real excited about this trip and wanted to share my trip report on both forums and maybe get a chance to know some of you as well.

Monday May 25th was the day to do it. I was in south eastern Pennsylvania for Friday through Sunday so I decided to head up to the Catskills and slip into the woods for an overnight and continue my drive up to the Adirondacks on Monday morning. Some plan, only thing is I did not have any maps of the Catskills area. I drove the 3.5 hours up there and then wandered around aimlessly for 1 1/2 hours looking for a trailhead to hike in on. Now, it's getting dark and I've found nothing.:( Then out of the dark appears a friendly KOA sign. Yes, they had a tent site for 38 bucks. Ouch! :mad: Well since it was 9:00pm I decided to take it.

Next morning I woke up at 6:00am and left the campground by 7:00am. I got up to the welcome center for the Adirondacks around 10:00am or so and decided to go in and see if they had any info for important stuff like: where can I get some gas cause I'm almost on empty and where's the nearest Dunkin Donuts and do you have a map of the park so I can more easily locate the trailhead. Guess what, no one to talk to and no answers. On my way out I met this guy named Mark and told him not to bother to get any info in there. He looked like a hiker so I asked him my questions. He couldn't answer them either but he did know where he was going which was Cascade Mountain. Well, I had planned on doing Giant Mtn and the Ridge nearby but this Cascade Mountain was sounding rather appealing since it was only 2.4 miles up instead of 3.7 which I decided would work out better with my late start. I told him that maybe I would see him on the trail.

I found the gas station, skipped on the coffee since the first one I had was still working, picked up a sandwich and hit the trailhead around 11:15am. The trail started by going downhill. Now I don't know about you but down is not a good way to get up! Ok I'll go with it. I soon came to a sign in station, which I stopped for. Next, I headed over a small bridge over a brook and began a fairly gentle ascent through some nice open forest. The sun was out it was warm but not hot and I was very excited about the day ahead. :DI headed over a little stream and around .4 miles came to a small cascading brook. Up till now the trail footing had been pretty nice.

I soon looked up to discover the real work was to begin. The trail continued at a steep to moderate pitch up to the top of the ridge at 1.2 miles. It was very rocky and steep so I needed to slow down a bit and take a breather now and again. Several other groups of people kept passing each other as we all in turn stopped to gasp for air and give our aching muscles a little break. Toward the upper half of this pitch is where I caught up to Mark. :cool:He was taking a little breather. You see he had decided after not having hiked for over a year that he would see how it would feel to carry a 26 pound pack, so that he could gage what it would take on future camping trips he had planned for this summer. We continued on together as the trail now began to alternate between several moderate climbs to flatter sections as crested the ridge at 1.8 miles on a beautiful ledge. :)he views were awesome from here. Although I don't yet know the names of all these mountains, I still can appreciate their grandeur. Many at awesome slides and ledges. We stopped here for a quick bite and a drink. Then who should call but Dave Bear. "Are you on a mountain," he asked? Of course I am I answered. I shared with him what I was up to and he shared what he had hiked the past 2 days. He's been busy too!.

Well it was time to move on. The trail grade relaxed as the forest began to change to hemlocks and small sections of ledge began to appear as the grade began to increase again. At 2.1 miles we reached the junction with the trail to Porter Mountain which would later be my second summit for the day. We continued on and soon reached the ledges below the summit. Wow, awesome :D . I couldn't wait to get to the top at 2.4 miles, but at the same time wanted to savor every moment and view I could. It was a bit windy so after the usual summit photos and viewing, Mark and I decided to find a less windy spot to have lunch. I had my sandwich and celebritory Dark chocolate. No Kalua nip though cause Dave Bear was not there to bring it.

I soon said my goodbyes to Mark, :(who I suggested check out Rocks and Views on line and headed down to the trail intersection so I could make good on my promise to myself to get( 2) 46er's done this weekend. I soon found myself descending about 100 feet to head back up another 270 feet. There were a couple viewpoints along the way and a really large boulder that the trail skirted around. Before I knew it 3/4 of a mile had flow by and I was on the unmarked but obvious summit of Porter Mountain. There were some real nice views here too and I could see across to Cascade Mountain. I waved t Mark but I know he could not see me as I could barely distinquish people when looking over his way.

It was getting later in the day and I still had the 2.8 miles to hike out so I set out on my way. I did not appreciate the 100 feet of gain back up to the trail junction but soon found myself heading down through the steep section at a rather slow pace. My feet were beginning to ache. :(I took a short rest while talking with a couple of woman in there late 40's early 50's which really helped. :cool: started out again on happier feet and soon found myself back down at the car. I had an awesome time and can't wait to get my feet back out on another Addy mountain. Two down and 44 to go. I know these were easier than some will be but I think they were a great place to start with the time I had. I got out at 4:25pm and had a 4.5 hour drive ahead of me and 6.2 miles and 2250 gain behind me . I was a happy hiker!:D

Last edited:
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the Adirondacks! It's really neat to have a fresh report from a new person climbing Cascade and Porter.

Sorry about the lack of welcome at the High Peaks Welcome Center. It's really more of just a big rest stop with some pretty pictures and such. If you want actual information, the High Peaks Info Center near the ADK Loj is a much better choice, in the future.

26 pound pack?!? That's quite a bit for a dayhike, even in winter, much less summer. Good for him, I guess.

Well congratulations on your first Adirondack hike. I hope you have many more enjoyable experiences!

(I was expecting this post to belong in the New York Q&A, but the Trip Report section would appear to be more appropriate.)

Sunshine Chris, it sounds like a fun day of hiking. A word to the wise: seek out Stewart's, not D&D. The former is much more prevalent and better yet, their milkshakes are real--make sure to order "Extra Thick"--you can get two dogs for only $1.19--regular, polish, or red-hot--and--are you ready for this--they have free Michigan sauce for the dogs! Their breakfast sandwiches are decent, though I wish that they'd use English muffins instead of bulky rolls. Oh, and at Stewart's, you can get, a milk shake, two dogs, coffee, and gas all in one stop, not to mention many other essential items.

If you plan on doing more ADK High Peaks, best to pick up a ADK guidebook. This can be supplemented with Barbara McMartin's Discover the High Peaks. Also, find out where the state campgrounds are before you head up there, they are much cheaper than KOA.

Thanks everyone! I do believe I will become an ADKer for sure. ;)Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a High Peaks book. Just haven't gotten into it too deeply yet. Great suggestion on the State Campgrounds. Is there info in the High Peaks book about where they are? Can't wait to try out Stewart's next time I'm over that way.

Are there any newer maps of the area. The one in the book I just bought kinda stinks. It is a hard read. I did put little blue arrows on all the summits so I can locate them more easily when I look at the map.

Someone please share your favorite summits in the ADK's. I am looking for an idea for a next goal and a time frame for how long it will take to hike it. Do most of the trail less peaks have fairly obvious herd paths or are some really obscure or not discernible at all?

Someone please share your favorite summits in the ADK's. I am looking for an idea for a next goal and a time frame for how long it will take to hike it. Do most of the trail less peaks have fairly obvious herd paths or are some really obscure or not discernible at all?

My favorites are here! :D

Most of the herd paths are quite apparent, at least in non-snow conditions.

Sunshine Chris,

While your trip/post was Adirondacks oriented, posting under Trip Reports is fine.
Welcome to the ADKs.
I've been poking around up there for years. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and welcome to the Board.

Alan

Last edited:
I've been poking around up there for years. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and welcome to the Board.

Alan

Just so you know, Chris, Alan has been more than poking around there. He is an expert in the area, and will probably be able to answer just about any question you could possibly come up with. He's being quite modest :)

We are psyched to start the ADK's this summer, also. We have NY on Topo now and bought the guides and maps. Now we just have to get a couple of weeks out there. We'll be asking plenty of questions beforehand.

We are psyched to start the ADK's this summer, also. We have NY on Topo now and bought the guides and maps. Now we just have to get a couple of weeks out there. We'll be asking plenty of questions beforehand.

Hey, I'm glad you found and acquired the maps alright. Please keep us posted about your experiences, I'm very excited for you!

Chris,

Nice trail report. I'm glad to see that you came over to the VFTT. Hope to meet up with you again on the trail. Keep up the good work on your peaks list.

Safe trails

Bob

Thanks everyone!

:DFrom Wolfgang:
Nice trail report. I'm glad to see that you came over to the VFTT. Hope to meet up with you again on the trail. Keep up the good work on your peaks list.
Thanks Bob, I'm glad I joined VFTT too. Now I get the best of both worlds.:)
I also would enjoy meeting up with you again on the trails.

From DaveBear:
Chris, Very nice TR and pictures! Missed you in the Whites this weekend but glad you made the best of a long road trip. Congrats on hiking in the Dacks on a beautiful day!
I wished I had been out on the trail with you too Dave, actually I wished you could have been with me in New York, but I couldn't resist squeezing the ADK's in on my way back from the Penn State SASS Championship shooting match you know I attended. By the way in went well, I came in 3rd in my category and oh so close to a 2nd place. Shoot, I mean darn;)
From King Tut:
Nice report. It gave me an idea of a hike to do this weekend if the rain stops. Thanks!
Glad to give you the idea. I hope you have a nice weather weekend too. :)
Peakbagr wrote:
While your trip/post was Adirondacks oriented, posted the under the trip reports is fine.
Welcome to the ADKs.

Alan
Thanks for the welcome to the board and I'll be sure to test your knowledge of the ADK's with a hard question or two. Thanks
From The Hikers:
Enjoy your new adventures in the Addy's!:)

Just a couple of suggestions for the new adventurers:

Maps:

National Geographic Adirondack Park; Lake Placid/High Peaks Region

Barbara McMartin, Herdpath Map of ADK High Peaks (sold separately from guide); some things have changed but in general this map will get you where you need to be on the herdpaths.

Guides:
Discover the Adirondack High Peaks; Barbara McMartin and Bill Ingersoll

Adirondack High Peaks Region, 13th Ed essential Guide, Adirondack Mountain Club

Memberships:
Definatley become a member of the ADK -- you can purchase it right at the High Peaks Information Center at ADK Loj. Its worth it for the discount parking alone.

Additional resources/trail conditions:
check out the forums at www.adkhighpeaks.com
although there are many of the same members here, there are some really informative people who are not--and the folks over there are in the Daks and the best up to date source of trail info.

Happy Hiking!