For those interested in the goings on on Mt Washington and Seek the Peak Warning

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today's Berlin Daily Sun 7/17 has an article about the most recent Mt Washington Commission meeting. You have to set up a free subscription to access the article.

The commission is composed of the multiple entities that have involvement with the summit and the surrounding area. It usually takes a few days for the official minutes to be posted on the state website. Looks like a busy summer on the summit and surroundings. I was somewhat surprised that the state earned $865,000 from food service for the last fiscal year (ended June 30th). I guess a captive audience is good thing, although I expect it doesn't cover the expenses of running restrooms and hauling water up plus staffing.

Seek the Peak is this weekend, for those who like crowds have at it, but for those who dont, you may want to head elsewhere. One thing to keep in mind if you do hike in the area is that many of the Seek the Peak Participants may not be familiar with the mountain and its trails and many are under equipped or have marginal maps. I have encountered Seek the Peakers trying to head down Huntington Ravine trail (not recommended) as they described it as "the fastest way down" on two occasions. Even if I let them become candidates for a Darwin award, they did tend to cause a lot of loose scree come cascading down the trail on folks coming up (like me). Given the forecast this may not be as much of an issue this year.

Water at the summit of Mt Washington

"25. Where does the water supply come from?
The water on the summit comes from a 600 foot deep well. Water is pumped from the well into five 3,000 storage tanks inside the building. After each batch is pumped, the lines must be drained of all excess water to avoid freezing. The Observatory uses roughly 1,000 gallons of water per week."

The year round septic system in use at the summit of Mt Washington was installed 2008/2009, it is a product of http://lifewaterengineering.com/ out of Fairbanks Alaska, it is rated for 5000 gal/day. In fact, early this spring, Mike Pelchat suggested that the summit building be made available to BC hikers/skiers during the winter, because the septic system works more efficiently with a higher input volume than the Obs staff alone generates during the winter months.

Breeze