Forum/Links for Washington State Hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amigo

Reaction score
I may be going to Washington State next week and would like to know if anyone knows of either a forum like vftt.org for that area or of a good web site discussing the best hiking trails in that state.

Thanks.

Quite by accident....

hikerbob.com

...has a bunch of good stuff.

Not connected with this site other than by name. I found it when I went looking for new domain names and was dissapointed to not be able to get this one. However, it is the other side of the country and does have some very good info.

Bob

I didn't find much when I went looking a few years back, but these were helpful:

Mnt. Rainer Trail Conditions
http://www.nps.gov/mora/trail/tr_cnd.htm#wonderland

National Forest Service Links in WA
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/links.shtml

I'm not a fan of guide books but the Mountaineers publish "75 Scrambles in Washington" and it's a great book. You may be able to mail order it in time or if you'll have time in Seattle you can get it at the Mountaineers headquarters store, or likely any book, map store or REI.

cascadeclimbers.com is a very active forum.

the following site has some plain text overviews of the Olympic Peninsula that are a good start. http://www.kempf.com/~mrk/trav/ori/olympics.txt

I usually whine about useless rangers on the phone, but the Olympic NP "wilderness info center" rangers were very thoroughly knowledgeable about specific trails and conditions. 360-450-0300

and the # i have for N.Cascades NP is 360-856-5700

great state...plan lots of post-hiking meals in Seattle!

I have vacationed the last 4 summers in WA state. Unfortuneately I will not make it back there this summer. I have done about a dozen different hikes there on the same order of difficulty as climbing something like Mt. Washington or Mt. Algonquin in the East. Here are some of my favorite day hikes(non technical walk up summit opportunites):

Hidden lakes peak and lookout (do the "trailless" peak if you do this hike), just follow the ridge up to the left from the col where the trail bears right to the lookout, alot of boulder scrambling with A+ views of Eldorado peak, Sahale, Mt Baker and Glacier peak and Mt Rainier in the distance. About 6-8 hours and 3500 ft elevation gain.

Sourdough Mt, gorgeous north cascade views, about 5200ft elevation gain but the trail is easy on the feet, alot of switchbacks and not rocky like eastern trails.

Hannegan peak (~12 miles round trip and 3000 ft vertical gain), great glacier views of the north face of the ridge north of Shuksan, great Shuksan & Baker views and other of the north cascades on into Canada.

Mt Aix east of Mt Rainier NP, again about 8 hours and 4000ft elevation gain with great vies of Rainier, goat rocks and Mt Adams and the peaks around bumping lake. More arid environment as it sits east of the cascade crest, in the "Rain shadow" of Rainier. Alternatively Shriner Peak within the NP. Another much easier hike in the NP are Sunrise to Burroughs Mountain and Plumber peak near Paradise(Reflection lake parking lot).

Mt Townsend: about 3000ft elevation gain, about 4-5 miles one way. Olympic pennisula near Port townsend, great Olympic Mt and Puget sound views.

If you have 2 days there is Mt St Helens, an extra day is required to get your permit (unless you do so in advance) from a country store and then get to the "climber's bivuac" (really a parking lot with tent sites next to it).

I recommend getting one or more of the Mountaineer's Hiking Guides (x Hikes in North/South Cascades/Washington State).

Have a great time and I wish you clear skies to enjoy the scenery.

John

Caveate: I have done all of the above in Late summer, so snow conditions of June could change the difficulty of some of the hikes. Check conditions at local ranger stations.

SNOW!

I live in wa state but am from NY originally . Right now it's melting but we have alot of snow above 5,500 ft. It basically derailed my wonderland trail trip and so now I am flying home for 3 weeks to see some family and hike in the adirondacks . I highly reccomend the alpine lakes wilderness area. you should be able to dodge most of the snow and enjoy unspoiled high alpine lakes. if you go visit snoqualmie lake. It's my secret spot! Great maps are available form REI at the seattle store it's the biggest one anywhere. and also at REI tacoma the best maps for alpine lakes are the green trails map series. They stock them well. one thing about North west hiking . They love permits!! and they hate camp fires if you get a fire going someone will barge in your campsite and harass you until you put it out. it's kind of comical and annoying at the same time . it's just the way they are out here. you'll need a permit to backcountry camp anywhere in Mt. Rainier but it's not a HUGE hassle. If you can gte over getting a permit for just about everywhere you want to go than you should have a good time.

Have fun
Rod