Found my Thrill on Algonquin Hill - March 15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
A long time ago, on a mountain (not so) far, far away, I was introduced to the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks….. and I didn’t like it! Cascade didn’t impress me on that early May day in 2000. I didn’t hike up my second peak until more than a year later, but I had an ideal July day atop Haystack - and I liked it. A few months later, I walked up Algonquin Peak in early November and was introduced to the typical weather conditions found at that time of year - ice, snow, and cold, and I think that‘s when I decided to continue hiking up those mountains. In January 2002, my friend Lee, who had introduced me to the muddy trails of Cascade, invited me on my very first snowshoe trek up Giant Mountain; I still have a framed picture from that trip hanging on the wall of my “Adirondack Room”. And so it continued. Considering the altitude of the peaks and the weather that the High Peaks enjoy, it was difficult NOT to do most of my subsequent hikes in the snow, if not in winter proper. I began to really enjoy the scenery that accompanies a winter trip, so when I completed my first round of 46 in 2004, I began planning my winter hikes on the way to earning that little “w” next to my climbing number.

45 Forever?
Until early last week, I had serious doubts as to my ability to advance beyond that tantalizingly close number of 45 winter peaks climbed. After soloing Santanoni in late February, I was just one summit away from my goal. An incident that same weekend at a restaurant in Keene threw a scare into me, and I really didn’t feel well in the days following. Then I think my imagination took over. The recent stress from everything involved with my (previously estranged) grumpy old father being taken out of his home of 60 years, followed by his spending weeks in the hospital, then a bed in a nursing home for a period of rehab, combined with the sudden responsibility of handling all of the bills associated with his large house, was just too much for this laid back middle-aged procrastinator to handle. At one point, I nearly convinced myself that I was having a heart attack. I had less than 3 weeks between that spell in Keene and my planned 46th Winter peak. Would I remain at forty-five winter peaks… indefinitely? I mentally prepared myself for that possibility. My doctor saw me immediately, ordered a blood test, and sent me to a cardiologist. That office then ran a full set of tests on me and my 56-year-old heart. I wore that Holter monitor thing overnight, got nuked and scanned, and walked the treadmill. After all of that concern, and 3 visits to the heart dude, I was informed that everything looked good - it seems that I am in very good health indeed. Finally, last Friday, I spoke with my doctor for the results of the blood test - “2 thumbs up” and I was good to go. While I still have the near constant stress from the situation involving my elderly father, at least I know that I’m physically able to do this winter hiking stuff.

That’s the elevation for what would be my 46th Winter summit - Algonquin. The same peak where, over 7 years ago, I began to think about all those other high peaks, and also part of the inspiration for my forum name. With all my doctors’ blessings, I headed back to Lake Placid and the Adirondack Mountain Club’s Loj to prepare for my ultimate winter hike. The weather forecast indicated a long string of near-perfect blue sky days. What a great weekend for all the winter enthusiasts squeezing in their final hikes of the season! I saw CrazyMama and HighOnLife in the Loj parking lot Sunday morning as they set off for Lyle’s 45th winter peak on Gray. Just as I was about to sign in for my hike, Rookie drove up to wish me well. Just after 7AM, I was on my way. About 2 miles into the hike, MtnHiker (Jen and John) caught up with me and accompanied me to the top.

There was a small group on the summit, so I waited nearby and took pictures of the great view of Mount Colden and the Trap Dike that I had climbed in September of ’05, just 4 months after having major surgery. I think we can all look at the summits from a lofty vantage point and remember something special. In the 8+ years I’ve been hiking these peaks, I’ve lived a lifetime; there are great memories nearly everywhere I look. A year ago, I summited Iroquois in March and convinced 2 hikers that even though it looks like a trail goes from there Marshall, it’s not a good idea to try your skills on those cliffs in winter. Iroquois is also where I descended to Shepherd’s Tooth for the first time back in October ‘04, and where my camera still lies somewhere on the herd path. Just 3 months after that same major surgery in May 2005, I bushwhacked up to Shepherd’s Tooth from Cold Brook Pass. I’ll never forget the incredible view of Wallface as I paddled my canoe up Lake Henderson a few years ago. I’ve had a few great trips up Colden, and my first ever backpack trip to Flowed Lands in 2000. All of my solo jaunts on Marcy and the other Great peaks are still fresh in my mind. Street and Nye - I climbed those on a frigid January weekend when there was a VFTT gathering at the Loj campground. Way down below, there is Heart Lake, the starting off point for so many hikes, and on the distant northern horizon is Whiteface, known to many as a ski area, but to me it’s a peak that I climbed solo twice, and enjoyed solitude on the summit while the snow-covered road was still closed for the season.

W46
I looked over and noticed that the summit rock was clear, so I spent a brief time alone on top. Jennifer presented me with a few home made oatmeal cookies. Standing up there wasn’t anything like the feeling of finishing my original round of 46, and it’s difficult to explain. After all the anticipation, it just didn’t seem that much different from many other winter hikes. When I’m on a mountaintop in the Adirondacks, it just feels like home. Maybe that’s why this 46th Winter peak didn’t feel that special. It felt so natural, like I was home. I just stepped off the bolt and resumed hiking. Maybe it just hasn’t sunk in yet. After all the reading, talking, planning, driving, and hiking, I am finally a WINTER 46er, one of the 400-something declared and obsessed crazies who did this in winter.

The 3 of us descended together to the Boundary col, where Jen and John continued on toward Iroquois, and I descended solo the rest of the way. The long walk back down the mountain, along Lake Colden, up the frozen surface of Avalanche Lake, and through Avalanche Pass went by too quickly. I can’t wait to go back to my place in the mountains….

As I walked out of the ADK's HPIC, I met Dave Young and his friend in the parking lot. I had met Dave at Camp Peggy O’Brien last month, and he came to congratulate me. The 3 of us went over to the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery for food and libations. CrazyMama had left her cell phone number with me, and we left a message. About an hour later, she and Nancy (HighOnLife) returned from Gray. Lyle stopped by for dinner and bought me an Ubu Ale to celebrate. I had wanted to finish this snowy quest last year because I knew so many others who were getting their “W”. As it turned out, I have many friends this year, too. Congratulations to all of you who completed your own journey to your “W”.
PHOTOS & Videos http://tinyurl.com/W46-ALGonquinPeak

Last edited:
I like it Bob, at home in the mountains. It's not the end, it's just a milestone.

I often feel the same way.

See you at the dinner! :D

Way to go Bob, Super report and I feel good that your 56 year old heart made it up to Algonquin and you had some company that day. Keep on trekking and as Tom says, see ya at the dinner!

Jay

Nice job and excellent report. You're a great story teller, please keep posting trip reports about your future adventures. I huge congratulations from me, I'm so very excited to hear about your finish with good friends and a lovely day! NICE JOB!!