Four Days in the Forest, NEHH 94-98 - June, 2009: Part II

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Vose Spur, Saturday June 7, NEHH No. 96

Since Jazzbo has a thread going on this one already, I'll just add a few thoughts and pictures. I had a four day weekend planned, and in all honesty was considering revisiting some of my favorite peaks in the Adirondacks, but then realized I could concievably finish the NEHH on my birthday on Goose Eye at the start of our backpacking vacation if I really applied myself to it this long weekend.

A few weeks back I joined BobandGeri on part of a hike in Southern Presis, and they jumped at the opportunity to go back to Vose, so that sealed the deal and we set the date. I sent out a few emails earlier in the week to some friends who I thought also might like to join. Then, a few days later I got an email from Jazzbo asking to come along, so there we have it...a big group of people all looking forward to hiking to Vose Spur.

Friday night, we found ourselves driving up to camp at Dry River, with Jazzbo joining us later that evening. We met up with the others at the Highland Center for breakfast, along with Mark, a friend of Bob and Geri's.

I was thrilled to see Joo-lie AKA Timmus at the trailhead on Sawyer River Rd, she had ambitious peakbagging plans for the weekend as well and wasn't 100% sure she'd make it. That brought our merry group up to 8 and we set off on a very enjoyable day!

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day:

Two special friends of mine
ry%3D400

Cannister shot...we picked up another VfTTer along the way, now we were 9

ry%3D400

Vose Spur is one of my favorite climbs, I really enjoyed the steeps and the woods are so peaceful. I hope to return to this peak again.

Peak Above The Nubble, Wednesday, June 3, NEHH #95

I had worked the previous weekend thus earning a weekday off, so I had planned on NE Cannonball in the morning and PaTN in the afternoon. Rocket21 was joining me for PaTN, and we met at the Cannon Tramway parking area and carpooled over to Haystack Rd.

So, we had BobandGeri's map, and a GPS point on the summit of PatN, plus some fairly recent Summitpost remarks regarding skirting to the right of BnG's track to avoid spruce, a good bit of beta.

We headed onto the trail past the three big rocks. A side trip on a small woods road to the right leading to nowhere, and we were back on the larger trail. A few minutes later we were at the clear cut, and took a 210 magnetic as others have described, and worked our way through the raspberry prickers.

We were in fairly open woods, and then encountered spruce. We skirted to the right of it, heading nearly to the edge of the ridge, and then began working our way upwards again.

We came across this neat "cave"
ry%3D480

And then this fun headwall, which I followed until it met the sky. At that point, we decided to go around to the left of it.
ry%3D400

Then we found these awesome ledges, which we climbed. Note the "cuts" in the roots! Its an old trail and this area reminded me of some of the ADK herdpaths -- straight up the ledges with a few roots for handholds!! Yeehaw!
ry%3D400

Happiness is finding a cannister!
ry%3D400

We followed a herdpath to a quiet place, and found Ray Loring's memorial Plaque, where we shared a moment of silence and reflection

We followed the herdpath for a ways, then decided to drop off to the left. We had great views of the Haystack Slide for most of the ways, and walked down through open woods to a clearing with a nice view back.
We followed a skidder road, then a moose path, always heading towards the road, cut back a bit to the right through a clearcut filled with striped maple saplings, and popped out on the road, about 20 feet from the car.

We later discussed our approach with someone with a vast knowledge of "off the beaten path" approaches in the Whites, and he mentioned that we may have stumbled upon the "Double Trouble Nubble Trail" that was cut in the 80's and long since abandoned. Its not to be confused with the "illegal" trail heading over from North Twin, we were on the ravine side of the peak. Interesting!!! If anyone here has any knowledge of this old trail, I'd love to learn more about it.

GREAT day!!! I had a wonderful time bushwacking PaTn with Rocket21 and I am glad we chose to do some exploring! Thanks again for joining me!

NE Cannonball, New England Hundred Highest No. 94, Wednesday June 3

I hit the Lonesome Lake Trail at 10:45 on wednesday morning. It was a bright sunny day and the blue sky was filled with puffy white clouds. I had gotten a later start than I had planned, and felt a bit rushed as I was meeting Rocket21 at 2pm. I made it up to Lonesome Lake in about 30 minutes, and proceeded along the puncheons. I had never been on this side of the lake before, so I slowed down a bit to take in the views of the lake and enjoy the green surroundings.

ry%3D400

This steep section of the Lonesome Lake Trail above the Lake was alot of fun
ry%3D480

I really enjoyed the rock scrambles on the Kinsman Ridge Trail, on the final little pitch up to the summit
ry%3D400

And the view of Franconia Ridge from the top was something special
ry%3D480

Three hours round trip for NE Cannonball, a great peak to combine with another to create a full day of hiking.

That brings my little story to an end...a great four days of hiking, to some very wonderful places, shared with some truly kind people...it doesn't get much better than that for me. I feel truly blessed to have had this time to spend doing what I love best with those I care about the most. :)

And today, I rest! Look at my pictures, put away my gear, catch up on VfTT.

Just Chain of Ponds Snow and Goose Eye left to complete this list. Its been alot of fun and has brought me to some very unique places, in mind, body and spirit.

Happy Trails!

Last edited:
Nice job, this reminds of the backward episode of Seinfeld! I must say I like Vose, PaTN, and NE Cannoball enough to consider returning again someday! Scar Ridge...

Just Chain of Ponds Snow and Goose Eye left to complete this list.

I think you did well to leave a good one (COP Snow) and a great one (Goose Eye) for your final pair. As to the former, I liked best the view from the top of the fire-tower rungs, where the cabin was before it fell off. I hope that is still safe to climb.

Well done!

Nice photos and report!

But you do need to go back to PaTN and stay left so you can check out the two overlooks with views towards mt Washington!

Best ever off trail coincidence -- meeting not one but TWO hikers on the same bushwack with printed internet maps from the website of a member of your hiking party.

TOO FUNNY!

Great to hike with you again, BobandGeri. Lets do it again sometime soon!

Now, how about your pictures???

Some photos from PatN:

patn01.jpg

Terra on one of the logging roads

patn02.jpg

"This isn't a trail...can I have some food?"

patn03.jpg

Heading through a recent clearcut toward the woods

patn04.jpg

una_dogger in awe of the massive rock cave

patn05.jpg

Really interesting rock formations

patnsummit-2009-0603a.jpg

Mt. Washington as seen from a few feet from the highpoint

patn06.jpg

Hey, I'm wicked proud of you for taking these peaks on! I may already be responsible for turning you into a peakbagger, and I think it must have been those Maine bushwhacks that hooked you on the NE100, but regardless, great job on some tough hikes and I can't wait for 99 and 100!

(but can we maybe rest some weekend?)