Franconia Ridge - Skookumchuck to Lincoln Woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivesToHike

Reaction score
Southern NH, Avatar: Durand Ridge above King Ravin
Has anyone done this hike: Skookumchuck trail from North of Franconia Notch to Franconia Ridge, over Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Flume and Osseo? It's abit over 15 miles to the Kanc/Lincoln Woods trailhead.

I've been on the entire Fronconia ridge line and up most of the trails going up to this Ridge, but have never been up Skookumchuck trail, Mt Osseo (Whaleback) or Osseo trail. Seems like a really nice summer's day hike.

If anyone else has impressions of or experiences with this route, please feel free to share here.

Thanks!

-LTH

Thanks!

sli74 said:
I think Abster just did that trip recently, let me see if I can find her trip report.

Here is her trip report . . .
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12887

Just watch out for angry birds :D

sli74

Thanks very much Sli74 - I missed this while bumbling around the site earlier.
I'll try to avoid the protective grouse near Liberty... :D

-- LTH

I have done this - its a very straightforward hike. once you top out on laff, its pretty much downhill - the osseo is well graded, that last 1 mile or so is on an old railroad bed (wilderness trail).

its a great hike. try and do it on a decent day for the views. the ridge can get nasty in bad weather (b/t laff + haystack) -

you have to bushwhack whaleback - I have never done that, but some her ehave - have heard its pretty easy.

I think the old osseo trail used to run over whaleback and is still pretty much there.

have not done the bushwahack down the old Osseo but a few folks from AMC's site a few years ago did the trip (Chomp included) down Osseo to Lincoln woods. On crowded weekends it's the way to go as the Skookumchuk gets little traffic so until you hit Lafayette's summit your on some of the least traveled alpine terrain on the Garfield Ridge trail.

Not too many people hit the Ridge between Little Haystack & Liberty either. By the time you get to Liberty, most of the Liberty & Flume loop hikers are heading down too.

I was on Osseo, F-Ridge & Garfield Ridge Memorial Day, trails in good conditions there was a tint bit of snow off the trail still on Lafayette but trails were in godo shape & only a couple of blowdowns on Osseo.