Franconia Ridge Traverse 10/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
The original plan was for me to meet Una Dogger at Crawford notch at 7:00 and do a Southern Presi tarverse.I was up and left early and decided to go up 93 to get to the notch,usually I would just go up 16 but for some reason I felt like going up 93. Turned out to be a very fortunate decision.As I was getting on 93 at exit 23 I get a call from from Una Dogger saying she has a flat tire.She was not delayed too long,maybe 1/2 hour but did not want to drive all the way to Crawford on a donut. I had stopped over at Lincoln to wait and we quickly hatched a plan to do a Skookumchuck-Lincoln woods traverse.So I went down to LW and listened to Howard for an 1:15.Hey Now.The cars at LW had a thick and frosty coating on them as it was very cold out.Once Una Dogger and Tera arrived and we had a formal doggie introduction we went up to Skookumchuck trail and began our hike around 8:15.Neither one of us had done this trail.As we climb up we hit first some crusty snow then increasingly deeper and softer snow which was piled thick on the trees, at one point unleashing a full load all over Una Dogger's head.The more we climbed up the warmer it got and we knew it was going to be a great day on the ridge.At the trail juction we were awestruck with the views and also met a couple of Vfft'ers from Ct:Norm and Tom?We set off down the ridge and took our time on the way occasionally taking some time to talk with our new friends.The snow on the ridge was reflecting the sun making it feel very warm and also making the landscape very dramatic. The view over to the snow shmeared spine of Bondcliff was particularly impressive.Before I knew it we were on the summit of Lafayette. No winds and the views were endless.As we continued down the ridge I was having trouble paying attention to where I was going because my eyes were everywhere but on the trail.There was not alot of traffic on the ridge was is a special treat.The people we did come across we all very nice and friendly,including guy keeping it real in shorts and a t shirt.Our little group of 3 dogs and 2 people eventually came across a small group with five dogs making quite the canine scene.The summit of Liberty was magnificent as was Flume and we could have stayed there all day.On the way down the Osseo trail our speed increased until we were in a trail run. This felt great and really helped loosen up the legs.Got back to LW at 4:30.What a spectacular day,I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Sweet! Fun fun day!
Thanks for tailing me part way home..I made it back on my little donut and am driving on it yet still today! :rolleyes:

Franconia Ridge thursday under crystal clear skies, Bond Traverse last sunday -- doesn't get much better! Guess I really do need to combine the two sometime in the near future!

Thanks for the great day -- fun to get out in the woods and play with the dogs!

I will put pics up later.:)

Sounds like a great day. Had the day off and was tempted to join you both but cutting and splitting wood duties called. Hiked the Skookumchuck trail in the fall - as I recall there were some really nice birch glades on the way up.

baba boey

at one point unleashing a full load all over Una Dogger's head.

Awww, that's too bad. Usually she ducks under all of them and I get dumped on. ;)

snow shmeared spine of Bondcliff

I love that description!

I'm glad you had a good hike despite the flat. Skook is a beautiful trail, very underused because it's the long way to the ridge, and therefore in good shape, with lovely, tranquil woods. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

We'll be tire shopping tomorrow. :D