Free Backpacker magazine subscription?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I received a couple issues in the mail a couple weeks ago. I didn’t order them, and no one I’ve asked knows anything about them. But the code on the address label indicates that I have a year’s subscription.

In the past, Amazon has offered me a free subscription to Outside magazine. The first time, I took them and got the issues for a year; the second time, I accepted, then changed my mind, and I not only got the year’s worth of issues, but was ‘‘refunded’’ ten dollars (which I hadn’t paid in the first place, remember).

This time, there has not been any offer of a subscription to Backpacker to accept or reject (and I don’t know if I’m getting these from Amazon or not, anyway). I have no idea who paid for this. I don’t mind getting them, it saves having to borrow them from the library, but I’d like to know who to credit.

Anyone else have this ‘‘problem’’?

Any chance it's related to air miles? I get a "free" subscription as a result of airline-related credits.

Yeah, check your frequent-flier statements, and similar things for hotels, credit cards etc. There are some very unscrupulous firms that specialize in cashing in people's frequent-flier miles, whether you've asked them to or not. (They get a small percentage of what the airline pays to the magazine.)

Another possibility is that the magazine itself (or some other outdoorsy business) is doing a promotion, and sent you a separate piece of mail about it, which either got lost, got tossed in the trash as junk mail, or hasn't arrived yet. The magazine's billing department should be able to figure out who's paying.

Last edited:
I had an unrequested spontaneous free subscription to Popular Mechanics. I simply let it run for the year and canceled when they asked me to "renew" (for money). Different publisher from Backpacker.

It may be an advertising strategy. I've read that it is much easier to get a customer to renew a magazine subscription than it is to get him to start one. So maybe this is an attempt to boost the number of paying subscribers.

Note: One is not obligated to pay for anything that is sent to you without your request. (Federal law, I believe.) This is to prevent send you something and bill you scams.

Doug

My roomate and I had this happen to us with Maxim, after we moved last year. Full year subscript, that neither of us signed up for, or every paid for. Kinda wierd, but oh well. Wish it was Backpacker instead, and save me from actually paying for it, lol. It's really the only magazine I ever consistantly read and absolutely love! :cool:

A friend probably signed you up for it for free. The magazine holds a buy-a-subscription, your-friend-gets-a-free subscription sort of deal around this time every year.

Enjoy!

I’ve already checked with everyone who could have been responsible for it. I’ve met very, very few of you folks, so you’re all out.

I, too, was wondering if it could be Darren!, but I don’t think he has my ZIP+4 Code, or even my street address. And I haven’t been on a plane since 1997 — I hate to fly — so frequent-flier miles are out, too.

That’s a good idea to simply write the company and ask.

I got this same deal from Rolling Stone magazine. Since I have zero interest in that magazine I simply threw out every issue without ever even opening it or used it for the guy in my avatar. It was funny when the subscription ran out and they kept sending my nasty grams telling me to start paying to renew my subscription or it would run out. I lost so much sleep over that. :rolleyes:

If the person who signed me up for that subscription (have a pretty good idea who) knew me well enough they'd had signed me up for Backpacker.