Free books to good homes and unblinking eyes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
I figured I'd pass these forward to folks who have not read them yet (as I'm trying to declutter). They are free books, all outdoor related, and if I don't see you in the near future I'll ship them to you at no charge.

Others may feel free to use this thread to pass on their books (remember, outdoors only - don't want Dave to bring the hammer down ;) )to other folks. I signed and dated these books, just in case people pass them on to others and they become a register of sorts. I might update this thread with more books as I emotionally detach from them and get ready for parting.

Books:

-1973 "Guide to the Appalachian Trail and side trails of the Shenandoah National Park, Seventh Edition" - by the Potomac AT club. A friend found this in a flea market and gave it to me - it has some scribblings from the previous or original owner. Very cool piece of history - this one I did not sign... of course

-"Into Thin Air" - Jon Krakauer - A Personal Account of the Mt Everest Disaster - Paperback - claimed by NewHampshire

-"Touching The Void" - Joe Simpson - True story of Joe's survival after his accident while climbing Siula Grande in the Andes. Paperback - claimed by JessBee

-"Not Without Peril" - Nicholas Howe - 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire. Hardcover - claimed by NH_Mtn_Hiker

-"A Fine Kind of Madness" - Laura & Guy Waterman - Mountain Adventures Tall and True. Paperback - claimed by NH_Mtn_Hiker

All right, let's get rolling.
Doug

Last edited:
Nice idea! I’ll add two of mine to the mix (some I just won’t part with :) )

claimed -"A Fine Kind of Madness" - Laura & Guy Waterman - Mountain Adventures Tall and True. Paperback –

claimed -"Tying Down the Wind” – Eric Pinder – Adventures in the Worst Weather on Earth, Hardcover-

Last edited:
Ohhh yeah, I LOVE Books!!!!!!

Believe it or not, I have yet to read Into Thin Air and would like to lay claim if possible.

And Carole, since I don't want to be a book hog ( :D ) I will take second dibs on A Fine Kind Of Madness if only no one else claims it.

Thanks,

Brian

Wow!!

I have a ton of books that fit this classification, but can't see myself unloading them at this time..........well, maybe a feww. It doesn't make sense to hoard them.

I'll be back to this thread after I do some sorting out. But would it be ok if I asked for shipping (the real cost of shipping, not the "shipping/handling" fees that double the cost of the item!!!)

More later,
Inge :)

Inge and others, be sure you specify book or media rate at the post office. BIG discount on shipping. Takes longer to get to destination, but its worth the savings.

Hope everyone is enjoying their reads :)

And after some parting rituals, a couple more to add.

I consider both of these books to be very inspirational. I rarely reread books so I feel like I can let these go and inspire others.

claimed by sapblatt - No Shortcuts to the Top - Ed Viesturs - climbing the 14 8K meter peaks without supplemental oxygen.

claimed by JohnL - Ultramarathon Man - Dean Karnazes - ultra runner Dean talks about his beginnings and where he is now

Last edited:
If no one has claimed the Karnazes book, I'll take it. After I read it I'll put it up again for the next reader.

JohnL

I have finished Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Nice easy read about a running madman. If anyone else wants it, let me know and I'll send it off to you.

JohnL

All right, another one for the masses:

claimed by JohnL - On the Ridge Between Life And Death - A climbing life reexamined - David Roberts

Its a little dog-eared... sorry :)

Last edited:
Anybody want to take The Ascent of Rum Doodle off my hands? I wasn't a huge fan and the binding is starting to fall apart, so I can't sell it on half.com or anything.

UPDATE: Book has been requested.

- Greg

Last edited: