free campsites near Zealand rd?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I remember seeing free sites either on Gale River loop road or Zealand. I have friends driving up on Friday night and just need a place to camp close to the Zealand Rd. Any thoughts.

Yup there are free sites on the lower section of the North twin road, Cherry Mountain Road and I believe there may be few on the Road from Five corners to the Galehead parking lot. There are none of the sites from the Garfield trail trailhead to RT 3 using the easterly approach. The North Twin road would be about the same distance as Cherry Mountain road. The Cherry Mountain road site tend to be major party spots with long term groups so I would suggest the North Twin road would be the best option. I expect given the USFS closures that these spaces will be at a premium.

There are 11? free sites on the Gale River Rd loop, starting with #1 near the Trudeau Rd/Five Corners end. The last one (#11) is just east of the Garfield Trail TH. There are a couple up the left fork past where you take the right to get to the Galehead parking lot.

But with the closure of the fee campgrounds, it will be next to impossible to get one of these sites, or the ones on Haystack Rd (North Twin). *Maybe* if you go up on Thursday afternoon. They all tend to be full on Friday night even w/o the recent shenanigans.

I know free is always better than pay, but you might want to cough up the small dollars to snag one of the last 4 sites at the Dry River Campground.

Also the Ammonoosuc Campground in Twin Mountain - rates are $24 for a single, $27 for two, 5$ person/site beyond that. Free hot showers (really hot!), Free Wifi, nice tent sites some with shelters for cooking.

http://ammonoosuccampground.com/

FYI - drove down Haystack Road yesterday and all the sites were taken! Busy week for the leaf peeping.

The sites on Gale River Loop Road are hard to spot, which could work for them or against them. Most are pretty set back and had small markers on a tree at their entrance.
This could be a tough weekend as it is long for many and there are Guv'ment Closures. I'll PM you a private suggestion.

Just a side note that the campsite *at* the head of Zealand Road on Rte 302 is the USFS Zealand Campground, and like the Sugarloaf I & II campgrounds, is closed.