Free "Staying Found" Workshops for Kids (prevent getting lost)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Goodearl

Reaction score
I'm sure you have heard the news reports recently about the Boy Scout in Utah who was fortunately found alive even though he did all the "wrong" things (such as going uphill instead of down and hiding on the searches when they got near).

Last year I helped organize a "Staying Found" workshop to help educate kids on how not to become lost in the woods and also what to do if they ever do become lost, the goal being to help avoid another tragedy like the one in Lincoln, NH back in October, 2003.

There are two workshops scheduled for this summer, July 9th at Pinkham Notch Vistor Center and August 6th at Cardigan Lodge. Here's some more info - please bring your kids, your nieces or nephews, your friends kids, etc.! Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Yes, kudos to you Mark and your fellow organizers.

I'll be assisting at both the July 9 and Aug. 6 events. Stop by and say hi if you're in the vicinity, even if you're kidless. FWIW, I'm camping at Dolly Copp on July 8 -- I'll be the one refereeing a canine wrestling match in my tent.

Sounds great! I also think some adults could benefit from this training. Anybody can make a navigational error. Currently, my son is too young for something like this but I hope you intend to conduct these classes in future years.

Thanks.
:)

The workshops are open to everyone, feel free to join us! We just need an idea of how many people will show up which is why I ask for an e-mail or phone call in advance with a headcount.

Also, yes, we do intend for this to be done once or twice annually my boys are very young, too and I want to drive these points home to them.

The SAR dog demo is what really makes it great for the kids so the scheduling is primarily determined by Nancy's or one of the other SAR dog people's availability. Biggest kudos to all you SAR people!

We attended on the ninth. It was very well done. I highly recomend the program. The dogs were the highlight for my kids. (too bad my kids couldn't follow the directions to keep the toy inside their jackets until the dog returned to the handler.)

Thanks Happyfeet, I think it went very well, too. I was afraid the weather might discourage anyone from showing up. Also, a BIG special thanks to Nancy, Charlie and Clare for presenting, to Nicky and the Pinkham staff for all the help and to Sherpa John for videoing the event! I've posted photos.

The next one is at Cardigan Lodge on August 6th! :D

Mark... Sarah and I truly enjoyed the workshop. We found much valuable information there and we even learned a few new tricks for being out in the cold and wet.

Glad I could have been a part of it even though I was only video taping. Thanks again!

SJ

Sherpa John said:
We found much valuable information there and we even learned a few new tricks for being out in the cold and wet.
Good point! I learn something more each time, too. The information provided is valuable to more than just kids and you're all invited to the next one. Thanks again John!