Full moon trip!...Scared the ----out of me!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
I'm on a roll, went out tonight with a group on a full moon trip...26 boats went out, 1 went over (not me) and we all made it back....

Went out into the Great South Bay on long Island...quick report...it was the largest body of water I've been on...the wind was app 10-12 knots, it was windy....we paddled app 1 mile to some island....going there was a blast...I loved it...the waves were hitting the front of the yak and spraying me....they put me in a wilderness 17...what ever it was called..really exciting...i learned not to take pics because i needed to concentrate 100%...water hit me on the side and I was close to rolling over....the way back was really hard...complete opposite....the wind was turning me sideways into the waves...I must have paddled 80% on the left to keep moving me to the right...I kept going to the left back into the waves...very scary and of course pitch dark...I was using my hiking headlight to let boats know i was there...the guides had lights on their boats .....I really thought i was going over a few times....finally made it back to shore and it felt good to be on land....i found out later that it wasn't that deep...app 4 ft but in the boat channel it was 8-10...I wish i had a rudder to see if that would have helped....3rd time out...different boat and different weather..it was a rush!....if all goes well...one more time this Sat....here are a few pics (9 or 10)...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2310955440065582691UuVVCN

Looks like big smiles in those pictures !!
Different boats handle... well... differently, but I think once you settle on a particular boat you get to learn what makes it go best by trail and error as much anything else.
(Kind of like the 1st time you ride a bike and it's like a regular Mr Wobbles...then before you know it's "look ma no hands" )

Little surprised the guides didn't have extra lights for you folks.
When we went out on a full moon ride a couple of years ago the Harbor Police were all over us..fortunatley we were all squared away by then. (someone had called in saying we were running without lights around dusk. )

Don't know the paricular laws but we use those red /green lights that stick on with suction cups.

I'm most spooked at night when I can't see the end of my boat so it's nice to have a light and some reflective tape on it for that false sense of security...

good luck ! Have fun!!

Spider solo.....my fault....they gave each person 2 glow sticks to tie on to your boat or hang from your vest...I brought my headlight because I figured "it's dark" and when else am i going to use it....as far as smiles go....man...I was smiling so much going out, like being on a roller coaster...and I love roller coasters....but between u and me....I thought it was to rough for "newbi's"....

That sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I had my head on straight...I would've remebered to try to get out as well. The Full Moon must've been cool. That Tempest you were in is the same boat I recently bought.

It's always tougher with the waves coming from behind (they want to spin you 'round lime you said) but going into the wind is fun, isn't it. Waves splashing over the bow. It is like roller coaster. Real exciting!

Congrats!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The paddling gets a lot less tippy with practice. The tough part about night paddling is not being able to "read" the water.It's tough to brace when you can't see what's happening.
I was just thinking last night as I headed to the gym,what an excellent night for a full moon paddle. Glad you got to enjoy it.

I gotta get back to doing more night paddling. Just too much going on. A few years ago we managed to get 5 full moon trips in one year.

Lake Umbagog is a magical place for a full moon paddle on a windless night...

KD....maybe I was lucky to not see what was coming :eek: thx for the water shoe idea with the heel drainage...my sandals were a little tight in the front...

Chriss....I heard that the Dinghy has Wed evening trips....I thought I was in the same boat as yours...tight and wobbly...had to hold my breath sometimes afraid to move..

Nice guy out there had a pungo14 and it looks roomy...i'd like to try one of those...hope to have another post on Saturday when i go to a kayak picnic...if my wife lets me ..

http://www.dinghyshop.com/

didn't know you were a kayaker. Maybe a river trip over by Rockysummits next spring, and then to the adk's

I'm on the hudson this weekend, by Newburgh/Beacon... We'll be camping on Denning Pt and exploring Bannerman's castle and Constitution Marsh...

Jay

Hi, my name is Coldfeet....I'm a wanna be kayaker!......yea, I like the sound of that...have fun Jay....that's what i want to do....float around and camp out....I don't care where....but i am saving a ton of money by switching to Geico and saving for a boat....