Fumbling around the Baldfaces 6/24/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
For sleeping bear's last real White Mountain hike before she leaves, we tackled the Baldface Loop...one of my favorites from last summer.

The forecast called for rain, and lots of it. Two so-called reputable hikers, whose names will not be mentioned here, bailed even before the day began. :eek: :) So, it was myself, Anthony and Lindsay (sleeping bear) who started up the trail at about 9am. We were socked in with clouds for the entire day but there was no rainfall. We lucked out bigtime, although some views would have been nice.

The trail begins innocently enough as a pleasant stroll through lovely open woods. After reaching the shelter, however, the trail takes on a new character. We were embraced by large, flat slabs covered ever so slightly with enough moisture to create a slick surface. Lindsay and Anthony approached the ledges gingerly in their stiff hiking boots while I clambered up ahead in my trailrunners, only slipping a few times. We did a bit of bushwhacking around some of the more dicey parts where a fall would mean a seriously painful walk out. Meanwhile, a group of hikers from up North blew right by us, full steam ahead.

The ledges were slippery but oh so fun. Lindsay got a little personal with one of the rocks...

We broke through all the tough stuff and arrived at a large cairn which we assumed was the summit and had lunch. We enjoyed the cooling breeze that gave us a respite from the heavy, thick, air. After pressing on for a short while we came across the actual summit and proceeded north along the loop trail. The loop would have been perfect on a clear day :(

The remainder of the day was filled with interesting fecal finds, munching on wintergreen berries, leapfrogging the Canadians, trying to get lost and getting found again, and amusing conversation.

Post-hike we picked up supplies in North Conway and drove back to the campsite Anthony and I'd made home as of late. We made tacos and hotdogs, drank beer, and had a jolly ol' time. Lindsay, you will surely be missed!

My scant pictures from this day are located here.

:eek: glad you enjoyed the hike up, but for those of you reading this report, the ledges can be hazardous in bad weather and there is a detour around (Slippery Brook Tr) that avoids the slabs & rejoins on Baldface Knob where you still get the good open views. I think it's between 2/3 and 1 mile extra.

IIRC, the slabs on S. Baldface are granite. If the rock is clean, water has only a small effect on the amount of static (stationary) friction. However, if you start to slide, you can hydroplane and have great difficulty stopping. (One learns this the hard way when rock climbing...)

If there are lichens or other growth on the rock, all bets are off.

Doug

A few years ago I hiked the Baldfaces with two writers from Backpacker magazine. We didn't hit the trail until 2 or 3 in the afternoon so we just went to the shelter for the night and we planned to finish the loop the next day.
That night we had some moderate rain (Not torrential, just enough to make things wet as rain will occasionally do). The next morning we started to ascend the ledges. They were slippery but doable. Within 300 yards of the shelter the Backpacker people called it a day and turned around. It was just regular slick ledge but they were having none of it.

Hey now miss "my sticky trail runners bla bla bla". I had on shoes too, not boots. I take full responsibility for my wussishness! :D Granite, whatever, it was slippery!

You also forgot to mention that you are the MASTER CAR CAMPER! I've never seen such a pro with cast iron pan and stove! :eek: :D

It was a fun hike, a little hairy on the ledges, but steep slippery rocks are becoming very dear to my heart. It was a good last hike, as I will soon be back in Michigan with an official state highpoint of 1,900 feet.

I took a few pictures too.