Funny Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ARRRR-GGH! Just thought of another one!

One day at the shop (yeah. I work at an outfitter), an apparently well-to-do/utterly clueless lady was present, trying to help her son explore ski equipment.

Being the high-quality salesdude that I am, I asked: "Do you ski crosscountry or downhill?"
The rather large, young lad replied: "Not sure."
"Ah!" says me. "First time?"
"Yeah."
"Some friends taking you out?"
"Yeah."
"Okay. Where are you going?"
"Not sure."
The plot thickens as our exasperated mom tries to help create some clarity. She barges: "Okay, okay! Which is the kind of skiing you do outside? That's the kind he's doing!"
The discussion continued for several more minutes along the same lines. I won't bore you.

N'E

Nor'Easter said:
The plot thickens as our exasperated mom tries to help create some clarity. She barges: "Okay, okay! Which is the kind of skiing you do outside? That's the kind he's doing!"

N'E

That is funny! But, what if she was referring to this? :D ski dubai

evilhanz said:
My wife and I were walking back to Zealand Road after spending a warm spring day relaxing at Thoreau Falls. We ran into a family walking in the opposite direction. "How much longer to the parking lot?" they asked. Considering where we were, I had to ask "Which one??"

Along those same lines, recently at the Great Gulf - Gulfside trail junction, this girl asks "which way do I go?"
me: "Where are you trying to get to?"
her: "I don't know"
me: "then take either one"

My brother worked at EMS a while back and had a woman come up to the counter and ask "Why do the fingerless gloves cost more than the regular gloves?" My brother gave his best innocent look and answered "Because they have to pay someone to cut the fingers off the gloves!"

Nor'Easter said:
P.S. Hey Stan! I just noticed that your identifying pic is of a black bear. I just chose a new one for myself and it happens to be pretty similar to yours. I'll change mine again to something more original. Don't want to get all up in yo' thang!N'E

Maybe we should introduce our bears, they appear to be looking for one another. Mine, however, lays claim to being a true environmentalist ... a tree hugger at that.

I got one....Climbed Monadnock a couple weeks ago on the flags on the 48 day 9/9/06 I think. There were literally hundreds of the summit. A lady summits, observes the scene, looks at her husband, and asks...

"Is this the top???"

I laughed until I nearly wet myself.

Tom Rankin said:
This just proves that Mt. Washington really *DOES* have the world's worst weather! :D

At least in the eyes of the Alaskans! :D

Well I guess it is settled then. :) I never had to make my own formula afterall. :D

grouseking

another Monadnock one...

A friend of a friend asked me once. You hike a lot right. OK ya I do. Is hiking Mt. Monadnock easy. I said no not really, but it's all comparative.

A side note: This woman is on the larger size of life (fat wise).

I said why do you ask. She said I'am hiking up with some friends next weekend. I said do you know what you getting your self into? She said ya I take the stairs at work. Oh OK I said never mind you'll be fine....

Bears, bears, bears!

Stan said:
Maybe we should introduce our bears, they appear to be looking for one another. Mine, however, lays claim to being a true environmentalist ... a tree hugger at that.

Uh-oh. Mine only lays claim to being pretty cute. Do looks still count for something?

N'E

Asked more than once at the tollbooth at Monadnock HQ- "How do I know when I've reached the top?"
One typical Ranger response trying to muster as much Yankee wit as possible- "Well, if you hike up, up, and up, and find yourself going downhill with nothing higher to climb, I think you will have passed the top."

More than once- Ranger- "Be very cautious on your way down, the rocks are very slippery on a dry day, even more so when it's raining." (As the wiper blades on thier car swiped back and forth).
Typical response:
1) "Really! The rocks will be wet?"
Wry response- "Well, I see the rain drops on your windshield, the road ahead looks pretty wet, so my best guess is that the water is probably also on the trails."
2) "Really! It's slippery when it's wet?"
response- "Well, we have been studying this phenomenon for quite some time, and we are quite certain that when water is on the rocks, they are more slippery."

An actual frequent response to the rangers question "Well if you hike up now you will certainly be caught after sunset. Are you properly equipped to hike down after sunset?"
"Why, what happens after sunset?"
"It will get dark!"
"Really?"
- We actually finally figured out why this disconnect occurs. Apparently some people who live in more urban settings don't realize that it actually gets dark after sunset, because of living in such an artificially lighted environment they just don't experience darkness (except in the bedroom). Us country folks can-not grasp this reality for others!

A favorite of mine on the Friday afternoon before Columbus Day Weekend as I was hiking up the Marlboro Tr. to a woman with a broken ankle at the junction with Marion Tr. I had a 2-piece litter on my back. Down bound woman- "Are you with the litter crew?" Me- "Well, I'm carrying a litter, and I'm with it. So I guess I'm with the litter crew."

10 minutes later:
Down bound guy- "Whoa, your into some serious training hiking up with that equipment!"
Me- "I wish it was training, this is reality."
Hiker- "Is someone hurt up there?"

Monadnock staff could write a book on this stuff- and we just may.

Andrew said:
We actually finally figured out why this disconnect occurs. Apparently some people who live in more urban settings don't realize that it actually gets dark after sunset, because of living in such an artificially lighted environment they just don't experience darkness (except in the bedroom). Us country folks can-not grasp this reality for others!
Unless your urban bedroom has no windows, it does not get dark in there either! Trust me, I've been living in an urban setting for too long now! :D

grouseking said:
A lady summits, observes the scene, looks at her husband, and asks...

"Is this the top???"
Although I haven't been there yet, from what I understand this is actually a pretty intelligent question . . . on Owl's Head! :D

My first hike in Baxter my husband and I had a very long hard hike, as we went up Roaring Brook, up Catherdal(unfortunately didn't make it to the peak, aka Katadin, another story.....), and down the Saddle Trail. Well we were pretty beat since we started hiking at about 7:00am and by the time we reached the second chimney on Catherdal, it was getting late so we had to start down in fear of hiking in the dark. As we were reaching the boulders on the Saddle we were behind a group of family, I'd say a mom, dad, a couple young kids(about 8-10???) and as we heard an uncle.

At about this time....aprox 5ish, we were getting pretty punchy and I was getting sore legs and feet and just couldn't stand that we still had so far to go. :( We overheard the "uncle" make a statement the would stay with us the rest of the weekend, especially on the way down, after we'd passed them. The uncle says in his out loud voice "my balls are killing me". :eek: You could see that he realized what he said right after with all the looks from everyone, including us. I must say he was a little embarrased since he came right back after that statement to elaborate that it was the "balls of his feet" that were killing him........OMG, every now and then on our way back down the trail, just out the blue one of us would just crack up laughing about it. Of course we held our composure around the kids, but I tell you right after we were out of earshot we both couldn't help but crack up and we kept that going all the way back to camp just to keep our sanity because of the long day. Even in the middle of the night one of use would just crack up......man, I bet that guy was careful of statements after that......