Funny Trail Names

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
weatherman said:
...Almost had my trail name involuntarily changed to "fireball" that night.
Weatherman

Reading this post got me to thinking about how there must be a wealth of amusing trail names out there. No actual ones come to mind at the moment, but I think "Gooney Bird" (after some of the feathered denizens on Midway Island) would be a good one for this category.

From Larry Luxenberg's Walking the Appalachian Trail:

Robie "Jumpstart" Hensly

Emma "Grandma" Gatewood

Bill "Stats Godric" Gunderson

Dick "The Old Hawaiian Mountain Goat" Davis

My hiking partners all have trail names relating to bodily functions. Theres Haucker: spits alot, Snot Rocket: pefered method of blowing ones nose, Down wind: The one place you do not want to be when hiking with this person, and Tripod: The way ones manuvers ones self to go to the bathroom in the woods. I even drew logos for each name for each of them to keep on their desks at the work place.

Our group of five were camping on a tent platform at the Speck Pond Shelter on the AT in the Maine Mahoosucs. One of our group wasn't thinking and left a peanut butter sandwich in his pack and set it just outside my friend Mike's solo tent.

Well, about four of five red squirrels smelled the sandwich and kept attacking the pack all night, while Mike kept fending them off. The other four of us slept soundly through most of this. About 5 am, we all were awakened by a frustrated and exhausted Mike screaming at the squirrels, who he said were "squeaking" at him.

One of our group named him Bambi, because he had made such nice woodland friends. That trail name has stuck ever since.

elvis trailsley :eek:
to me it's not only the name but how they got it that could be even funnier than the name itself :D
another one was lichen hikin'

We inadvertantly named our 6'9" friend "Webcatcher" one morning when we realized that if he hiked in front, then we didn't get any of those invisible spider webs in our face. Thanks, Webcatcher! :)

Another friend of mine was termed "First Gear," because, well, he was slow. :eek:

My favourite trailname so far comes from a woman who hiked the AT a year or two ago. One chilly evening early in the trip she apparently asked for two of the bigger guys at the shelter that night to sleep one behind and one in front of her to keep her warm. Her trailname became "spoony love".
-veg

A couple of "Indian Names" we've used:

"Dark Cloud in the Morning" as someone who isn't always chipper in the AM.

"Mouth that Runs Like the River" for a partner who prattles on endlessly all hike long.