gaitor question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Outdoor research gaitors balck low cut, and I belive the model is the rocky mountain. I tied the string up and double knotted it and it came loose. Is there some kind of a knot I could use to tie it?

Gaitor ties

I replaced my strings with about 12 inches each of nylon cord. I tied each cord length to the grommet on the inside of my gaiter and used a ball style cord lock on the outside. These items came from EMS or IME, I don't remember. They last about one season before the cord frays to the point of seperation. Very secure, and very quick to adjust.

I've found the trick with any type of gaitor strap is to keep it tight in the area between the heel and the ball of your foot.

If your gaitors are loose and flopping around, they don't keep snow out and the cord gets chewed up quickly by your boots.

As for the knots: I think the low Crocs come with a shoelace-type cord, right? If so, a couple of half-hitches should be adequate b/c they hold fine with soft cord. If you use sturdier nylon accessory cord use a bowline on each end. It won't come off and you can easily adjust it when you change boots.

if you need help with knots, try these pages: bowline and half-hitch

spencer

ridgewalker - I owned a pair of those a few years ago. I found that after one or two multi-day backpacking trips in the Adirondacks the cords were totally dusted. I replaced them with 4 or 5 mm cord from EMS and that outlasted the gaiters. I tied a knot in each end of the cord then melted it with a lighter. Since I only used them with one pair of boots that wasn't a problem - but if you plan on using them with multiple pairs don't melt the cord - you'll want to resize them for each pair of boots/shoes.

hope that helped.

cheers
Oysterhead

I have a pair of low OR gaiters also, and after a hike or two the straps would wear out. But I haven't had any issues for the past 3 years after I replaced the straps with some tie wire I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents.

We have OR gaiters and I threw the cords away after the first trip. I put mini bungee cords on them and bent the hooks to be secure and safe. The bungees last most of the winter season,until it gets to mostly exposed trail. I also color coded the bungees 'cause most of our gear suffers from "Bobsey Twins" syndrome,and I'm gettin' tired of having to look at the tags!