Gale River Trail to Galehead Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
I am supposed to hike with a group up to Galehead Hut this weekend.

It has been reported to me that the Huts Manager said that because a bridge along the Gale River Trail is out, there is no access to the hut via this trail. The FS is saying something similar.

Has anyone been on the Gale River Trail in the past two weeks?
If we can't take the Gale River Trail, which would be a better option:
North Twin Trail or Garfield Ridge?

Thanks,
-Liza

Hey Blue, this is an interesting problem. You are again to be commended for your group-leading efforts. Have your sources ruled out fording the river? I have not been in there this time of year to know how feasible or foolish that might be. Perhaps a rope or two could be rigged in a group effort to get through in good shape.

As you are undoubtedly aware, the routes in via Garfield or North Twin are substantially longer days than the usual Gale River Trail. You know too that the North Twin route has at least one good river crossing, even if you avoid the other two. There is a pretty good crossing on the way into Garfield too, but it can be avoided if you know to look for the snowmobile bridge (see WMG).

This probably makes you eligible for a reservation change to another hut, but there may not be enough vacancy for your group, I realize.

That's it, I'm out of suggestions.

Last edited:
Forget North Twin Trail as FR304 (Haystack Road) was still closed as of Sunday, it has tough stream crossings, and would require you to go over both Twins, then down to Galehead. A long hike with pack.

This is a tough one... I'd get more info on the crossing. Here is a shot of Gale River from the Bridge that I believe they are referring to. This was taken on 12/28/2004.

I was at the Gale River Trail a few weeks ago and although the bridge was gone the river crossing was pretty easy. None of the crossings were difficult and the water was pretty high at the time. Just use trekking poles.

Bring an extra pair of socks and if it's a nice sunny day have everyone dry out their shoes on the Hut Patio.

C'mon -- the Gale River isn't the Nile.

This turned out to be an easy crossing: http://community.webshots.com/photo/330804194/330808256nucRWt

-Dr. Wu

SherpaKroto said:
Talk about good response. Before and after pics. Looks to be pretty straightforward. Bring swim fins :)
It's really not that bad. I actually thought that the first feeder stream crossing was more difficult because there were less rocks to walk across.

The only reason people are talking about this is because a bridge that arguably isn't needed washed out. I guess in particularly high water or after a rain storm the water could be running high, but in normal times I've seen much harder stream crossings then this one.

For what it's worth, the crossings on Little River going up North Twin were worse on that day. Going over from Garfield is a little more difficult because of the steep Garfield Ridge Trail (up and down) but people who hike the AT do it all the time. If you're worried about the river crossings, going up Garfield is an option unless you're worried about the condition people in your group are in.

-Dr. Wu

Access to Galehead Hut

A reasonable option to avoid both Gale River crossings as well as the tributary: Bushwhack up the right side of Gale River and don't attempt to cross. Farther away from the river is a little more open than right along the bank. Allow a little extra time.

I'd sure rather do that than traverse over from Garfield, a definitely long day.

In times of high water there have been some bad incidents along the Gale River. Groups have been swept away at the upper crossing, and at least once someone spent the night on one of the islands unable to safely get across. It doesn't seem like that would be an issue now, but don't take the river lightly in times of higher water.

-dave-

Gale River Bridge

When bridges like this go out how long does it usually take for them to be repaired? Is this a WMNF or AMC (or other agency) job?
I was going to be heading up this trail on 5/21 but may have to rethink my plans and do an out and back from Crawford to Galehead. Going solo in all liklihood I will not want to mess with the river crossing alone.

dr_wu002 said:
It's really not that bad. I actually thought that the first feeder stream crossing was more difficult because there were less rocks to walk across.

Ditto, although I think that the final stream crossing is the most difficult in high water. The Gale River, which comes all the way down through Franconia on its way to the Connecticut, is still running high. We haven't had rain in two days now (a record lately) but the snow melt has speeded up with warmer temps today, which will continue through the rest of the week. For me, solo, yes, I'd give it a go. Leading a group, I'd hesitate. I've given up trying to go to Galehead on caretaker status in May. Just too may times when it's been difficult to impossible to get in there or to go anywhere when we get there.

Waumbek said:
I've given up trying to go to Galehead on caretaker status in May. Just too may times when it's been difficult to impossible to get in there or to go anywhere when we get there.
A glance at the lodging availability suggests that Galehead opens for self-service on Friday, and is fully booked on Saturday. So, Liza, do you know how the caretaker will get there (or already has)? Helicopter drop?

I hiked Gale River Trail about 3 weeks ago, and in my opinion the crossing _near_ the bridge site is not substantially more dificult than the upper crossing. Note that the former bridge location is not the optimum crossing point and you are better off slightly upstream. I would say that the Little River crossings are harder, and Garfield Trail with use of snowmobile bridges easier but a real bear getting along ridge.

arm said:
if you decide not to attempt Gale River Trail, your next best option might be parking at seven dwarfs, short-cutting to North Twin Trail, 'whacking past the first two river crossings, up and over the Twins to Galehead Hut

Has anybody tried the Forest Road that parallels N Twin Trail on W bank of Little River and then bushwhack last bit to NTT, with 0 crossings of Little River (note gated road on R before parking lot)?

Tramper Al said:
A glance at the lodging availability suggests that Galehead opens for self-service on Friday, and is fully booked on Saturday. So, Liza, do you know how the caretaker will get there (or already has)? Helicopter drop?

I'm not sure exactly how the caretaker will get there, good point! Two of the members of our group work for the AMC (Boston office) so I think we are checking on other options.

This group is in good shape and all have 3 season experience (not 4), but there are only a handful who have ever bushwacked or done any type of extensive water crossings, so I'm trying to minimize risk. Also, this trip is mostly for leadership training and first aid, so I'd like to minimize chances of actual rescue scenarios, and save the time for training.

Thank you for the pictures and ideas! This is great help. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
-Liza

Blue said:
I'm not sure exactly how the caretaker will get there, good point! Two of the members of our group work for the AMC (Boston office) so I think we are checking on other options.

This group is in good shape and all have 3 season experience (not 4), but there are only a handful who have ever bushwacked or done any type of extensive water crossings, so I'm trying to minimize risk. Also, this trip is mostly for leadership training and first aid, so I'd like to minimize chances of actual rescue scenarios, and save the time for training.

Thank you for the pictures and ideas! This is great help. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
-Liza
Here's the most recent trip report. http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/3308.html
Bushwhacking to a good stream crossing would be at worst 100 yards so it's really not a bushwhack! The river is probably running a little high and you'll probably have to step on rocks with a little water rushing over them so you'll get your feet a little wet (if you don't have waterproof shoes and gators). However, I suspect that if your group is careful and uses poles the crossings should be easy and won't involve anyone falling in! I could be wrong -- other people who posted seem to have more experience with the trail than I do and also, I was there 3 weeks ago so things could have changed.

Good Luck!

-Dr. Wu

Sarah and I are going to trust Dr. Wu's advice and mosey on up. I mean it can;t be as bad as some of those danged crossings going up Rocky Branch trail!

Crossing does not look too bad unless it rains more than a bit or all the snow melts at the same time. I'd probably do Gale River with the idea I could bushwhack up to where the trail crosses back using the stream as the trail (just not walking it it - you know that if you don't leave the side, the trail will come to you)

If that was not an option, I'd look at the road openings on Thursday or Friday AM, I'd be mildly surprised if Haystack Road is not open for this weekend. While the crossings may be harder, the bushwhacks are more prominent as its used more often. IMO the North Twin trail & Twinway are less rugged than the Garfield Ridge Option, although the Garfield Mt. trail is moderate at the most.

Another option might be the XC ski or snowmobile tails in the area If I recall one of them crosses the Gale River trail just past the bridge in question it can be reached from the Garfield trail about a mile away or maybe a short Bushwack though open forest from the gale river road. Try looking at a newer map ment for xc skiers or snowmbiles I know there is a XC ski trail that goes in that direction from the Garfield Trail you can se it just after crossing the brook either the frsit or second time . a bush wack follwing the south bank might also be possible as a older logging road goes in that general direction. I think MT bikers use it .

AMC Statement

I just recieved this e-mail from the AMC:
Dear AMC Galehead Hut Guest,

You are scheduled to visit the Appalachian Mountain Club's Galehead Hut
within the next month. The Gale River Trail is the most direct and
commonly used route to the hut. Unfortunately, during the spring melt,
the footbridge approximately 1.7 miles up the Gale River Trail was
washed out.

The trail now requires a river crossing, spanning approximately 20 feet,
that is roughly knee-deep under normal conditions. If it has been
raining significantly, the crossing will be deeper and swifter. You
will find hiking poles helpful under these conditions as well as water
sandals that strap firmly to your feet. There is also an alternate
crossing approximately 1/4 mile before the recently washed out site,
where a previous bridge once stood, that may be a better crossing. If
you use this location, you will need to be prepared to "bushwack" to
rejoin the trail further up.

Currently the higher portions of the Gale River Trail are currently snow
covered so snowshoes may also be helpful. The AMC and the U.S. Forest
Service are currently exploring options for the bridge's replacement.
No timeline has been established. As we get into the dryer summer
season, the river crossing becomes much easier.

If the prospect of removing your boots to cross the Gale River doesn't
appeal to you, or the river is higher than usual due to rain, you might
consider using the Garfield trail as an alternate route. However, it is
likely to be snow covered in May, much less well-traveled, and a longer
route to the hut.

If you have any questions or concerns about your reservation, please
contact AMC reservations at 603-466-2727 or respond to this email. If
you would like an update on Gale River Trail conditions before you start
your trip, please call our Trail Information Desk at 603-466-2721, ext. 116.

Thanks again for your interest in AMC Destinations!

Sincerely,
Frank Jost,
AMC Reservations Manager,
(603) 466-2727

The Appalachian Mountain Club promotes the protection, enjoyment, and
wise use of the mountains, rivers, and trails of the Appalachian region.

Thanks, I got that email too..

One of my friends asked -- so is that knee deep on a 6 foot guy?

Looks like we are going to cross the river!

-Liza