Galehead summit: tree height question (FOT48)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
It's been a long time since my only trip to the unremarkable summit of Galehead and I'm hoping someone could help me out.

Due to procrastination during signup day, I've got Galehead for Flags on the 48. I'd love to hoist a flag on the summit visible from nearby peaks. We pulled it off for East Osceola (30'+), and I'm curious as to roughly how much flagpole I'll need to lug up.

Anyone been up there recently with a better memory than I have?

You won't need a 30'er, that's for sure. The scrub ranges around 7 or 8'.

Summit of Hale

Maybe higher. This is June 2008. But if you stand on the summit Cairn, you can just barely see the surrounding mountains. There are plenty of cooperative rocks there! :D

And don't forget to check for magnetic anomalies.

Sorry Tom, I think that's a the summit of Hale you have pictured.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from last summers hike I summited around dusk) and I don't recall just how tall the surrounding trees are.

Steve

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from last summers hike I summited around dusk) and I don't recall just how tall the surrounding trees are.

Steve
Oops! :eek: Wrong Mountain! Hey, you can spell Hale with the letters in Galehead!

Ok, here is Galehead, just a few weeks ago. There is a lookout that you could use as well.

Maybe higher. This is June 2008. But if you stand on the summit Cairn, you can just barely see the surrounding mountains. There are plenty of cooperative rocks there! :D

And don't forget to check for magnetic anomalies.

Steve
Tom, I think you posted those photos for the Hale of it. We're talken Galehead in this thread. :D

Since you will not want to go back to the car if you under estimate what you need, I'd look at 15 -20 feet of pole. (oddly all my Galehead pictures on my computer are from the view point ;))

Having a few extra feet also allows you to be a little beyond the summit cairn. From memory, there is a slightly (very slightly we are talking Galehead) spot just past the summit which might be a better spot for the flag.

Here's the cairn from a different angle, showing some taller trees nearby - I'd guess 20' or more for the tall ones (cairn is knee height, some of the branches from Tom's photo are identifiable - chest and head height - and there's a bit of upward camera angle).

Was this the last time you were on Galehead? I think it's the last time I was.

http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/pemiloop05/i34.jpg

Here are my pictures from when I did FOT48 on Galehead back in 05.

I believe my flagpole was 12' of PVC piping that I cut up in 4 sections 3' each for easy transport. I can't remember the exact length, but I know it was less than 20 feet and I bought the pipe at home depot in one length size.

Anyway, I brought plenty of rope and latched the pole to one of the sturdier trees on the summit. Seemed to work for the 2 hours I was there.

Thanks for all the replies and pictures.

Looking forward to raising Old Glory from there.

Nartreb - Yup... that was my only visit to Galehead. Looking forward to the Gale River Trail.