Gannett Pk, WY - July 20th to 25th, 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks soooo good. I really wonder if I'd still be able to carry a pack like you folks.....all this day hiking softens a person's legs.

Really nice looking trip.

(I guess you'll be fit enough to tackle the Jays. :D)

WOW Super :cool:

Some of your photos made me feel like I was there so much I got scared from the hights you were at. The mt top didn't look like a very big spot to stand on. :eek:

Yeah, let's plan next year now (Granite ?)

Sorry Julie, got impatient and climbed it on 8/11 via the SW couloir (highly recommend that route!). That was high point #48.98*. Planning a #49.98 luau on Mauna Kea sometime in November...
:D:D:D

Sue

* .02 reflects the last 400 ft. on Denali which I am never doing! Too many other cool/fun things on ever-expanding list of things to do... :cool::p:D

The guy also said his father was in the Wind River Range at same time than us, and that we might cross path with him. Andy Carson is its name, and he's a very old man. We'll be looking for him.

Congrats on bagging Gannett, and nice TR and photos, Julie.

But, I disagree about Andy Carson being "a very old man" at 61 yo. :)

I do agree that he is a legend in Wyoming mountaineering. Also, Barry Corbet (misspelled first name in the article below), who sold Jackson Hole Mountain Guides to Andy in 1984, was on Everest in 1963, as were a few other Exum guides, notably Willi Unsoeld (Barry passed away in 2004, after writing some thought-provoking articles on health care in America, based on many years dealing with paralysis to both legs suffered in a helicopter accident on a ski mountaineering film production).

http://www.nols.edu/alumni/leader/05spring/alumnitrailblazers2.shtml

Bravo!

Great TR! Thanks for sharing. Your photos are well done and labeled too. I particularly like 098. The cumulus clouds framed by the valley give an incredible sense of space. I agree about your comment about writing the TR being hard. Takes a long time to boil down and distille long trip into logical piece of prose as short as yours was.

Not enough time to read all the great TR's being posted these days, but I'm glad I read yours.

The rockhopping - i.e. the Talus Slope from Hell - was probably the worse I've ever encountered. HUGE rocks. Think of many Mahoosuc Notch traverses, one after the other... :eek:

Still, I liked it a whole bunch. :)