Garfield #48 - August 13th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sherpa John and I will be heading up Garfield Trail starting around 8:30/9am as well. Michael J, you don't have to wait for us if you get there first. But alas.. we'll be there. SJ and his tired legs (still) and me with my 2nd degree sunburns and sprained ankle! :eek:

Hikerbob: Alas, I cannot make your final peak :( I had already committed myself to something else. I hope you have a great and enjoyable day though! Good Luck and Congrats!

-Dr. Wu

Good luck HBob and takes lotsa yer famous pics! Your pics may be the thing i enjoy most about this site (no offense to anyone else). I actually WAS thinking about hiking in the Whites this weekend, but IRENE has got us waxing up the boards (surfboards that is!). :cool: :cool: :cool:

ps - how DID you get that latest avatar pic, i missed the story on that one. KILLER pic!!! :D

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - you will all be with me on this one whether or not your physical presence is... well, present :rolleyes:

Gris - I got the leaping trout pic through patience and a lot of luck :) It went something like this:

Leap, splash, click, damn! Wait...
[other instances removed for brevity]

I finally decided I'd done the best I could. I didn't even know I'd got the shot until I checked it on the computer.

Think good weather! :)

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Hiker Bob,
I wish I could be there to cheer for you, but I will be waving from Cabot! Your pictures are the best, and get me through a lot of days in the office. :rolleyes: I hope you stay out there and keep taking pix, have you ever tried selling your prints? Just a thought. Good luck and be safe. Christine :)

Sounds like we may have a good showing!

Just an FYI to anyone who was thinking of joining us on the Skookumchuck trail.

Due to the weather forecast and chance of thunder showers, we will be meeting others at 8:30 AM and doing the Garfield trail. Better to be safe than sorry. Now watch it be a clear dry day :>

Mtnmama and I plan on heading up Garfield Trail after a quick stop at the dump. We should be at the trailhead by 8:30. If anyone still plans on heading up from another route we can help shuttle 2 or 3 people back to their cars. Looking forward to being back in the mountains and meeting more good folk :)

HikerBob - Saturday will be a fine day to celebrate with you! Geneva and I plan to join you on the summit, not yet sure what route we are taking, but we will be there. Our last hike with you seems like an eternity ago - Isolation with you, Karen, and Ivy. As I recall, we were chased out of the parking lot by thunder, lightning, and rain! No deja vu!! See you Saturday!

sal

Now if everyone shows up at 8:30 where will I park?
:)

Just as another option, btw ... if you want a slightly different hike without following Bob's route, you could easily go up Gale River to the Hut, tag Galehead if you haven't been there, and come across the Garfield Ridge Trail from that side. It will be much easier and safer if it storms than Skookumchuck. Odd that the forecast is for a storm chance in the morning, but *not* in the afternoon. It's opposite day!

OK Folks - the current forecast seems to have overnight scattered t-storms ending around 6am. Then clearing to a partly cloudy day.

I'm hoping the storms shift out early and still plan on heading in from Lincoln Woods at 6am. I'll be down nice a low for a good while so things should be all cleared out by the time I get to 13 Falls and start heading up to the ridge.

I still find it hard to believe #48 is so close.

However, there are lots of gaps on THIS list and even more on THIS one!

I also hear there may be other lists ;)

Think sun (followed by think snow :D)

Bob

I think I'm in!!! But I won't be able to get there until 9ish either... See you at the top!

Hiker Bob Completes #48!!

He did it!!!

At 1:30 this afternoon under bright blue slies, Hiker Bob reached the summit of Garfield! He was met by 16 members of VFTT, and another gorup of 12 hikers from New Jersey who were on a hut to hut hike.

While "SAL" poped the cork on the champagne, and Karen, Amy, and Geri brought out treats, Sherpa John presented Bob with a NH48 patch.

A great day to hang out on the summit. Here is a group shot:

group.jpg

Congratulations! I looked for the group from the outlook on Cannon. I went to the Woodstock Inn later to see if I could join in the festivities, but alas, I guess I was too early. :( Glad you had a great day and a lot of people to celebrate with, I hope you will stay out there and keep posting those inspiring photos! :) Thanks, Christine

Congrats to HikerBob! You do look smashing in that lei, wearin' it in style on the summit. I hope it brightened your day as much as your trip reports, your photos and your enthusiasm and love for these mountains brightens our each time we hike with you or read your trip reports. You're a true inspiration! :D

Wish I could've stayed for the festivities but alas I had to get back to Beantown. See you at the 4K dinner!

Here are some pix from the day! Alpinista's Webshots

Last edited:
Way to go Bob :D
Looks like everyone had a blast and sharing in your special day!
I had planned on joining everyone at Garfield but was at the trailhead very early 6:30 so I decided to drive to Mt Carrigain as I still needed to bag this one.
I was waving to you from Mt. Carrigain,did you see me :rolleyes:

I look forward to reading more of your trip reports and viewing your picS, keep em coming.

Congrats once again :D

Happy Trails

Congrats Hikerbob!!! Nice to see another Western Mass resident make it! Looks like you had an awesome weather day!