Garmin 62S-Map on internal memory

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Last week, I bought a Garmin 62S.
Last week I transferred portions of topo maps on internal memory for use it immediatly.
Yesterday, I bought a Micro SD 8G card, and I want to delete those portions of the internal memory card to use now my Micro SD card to put my Topo maps.

How to clear this map on my internal memory?
I cant find how do to it.

I think that if you load a new set of maps onto it, everything else will be erased.

When my GPS had a 128MB chip, I would have to load new maps onto it every time I went away, just the few maps I thought I would need during that vacation. With an 8GB chip, I put the entire Eastern National Parks set on and there’s still plenty of room remaining for tracks.

I think that if you load a new set of maps onto it, everything else will be erased.

When my GPS had a 128MB chip, I would have to load new maps onto it every time I went away, just the few maps I thought I would need during that vacation. With an 8GB chip, I put the entire Eastern National Parks set on and there’s still plenty of room remaining for tracks.
This is true for the prior GPSes which could only store the maps on a removable card and removable cards could always be erased by mounting them on a computer. However, the internal memory of the 62s might be different. (The 62s can also take an external card.)

If you haven't already done so, try checking the manual: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP62_OwnersManual.pdf

I do not have a 62s so I can only guess:
* Prior models do not have an erase operation, but installing new maps replaces the old maps. I don't know if this applies to the internal memory. If so, you might be able to replace the current map with something that is very small.
* You can choose which of the resident maps to display (via the menus). Thus one should be able to undisplay any undesired maps.
* The 60CSx has a mode where one can mount the memory card so it looks like a disk to a computer. Perhaps the 62s has the same mode for its internal memory.

FWIW, I recommend that you back up the files in the internal memory before erasing or altering them (if possible). The map file on the 60CSx is named gmapsupp.img--it may be the same (or similar) on the 62s.

Warning: there may be some files on the internal memory that you do not want to erase or alter.

Doug

Thank you Doug, the file is exactly like you said, it is the gmapsupp.img. I found it yesterday night. With help of friends.

First I did, like you said, a back up of the Garmin directory.
What I learned is, when you send a map to the GPS, the 62S create a file gmapsupp.img. And whenever we send another map or portions of maps, the GPS replace this same file. To remove the map in the internal memory of the 62S, you had to erase this file. Then to transfer a new map or portions of a map choose to put on the MicroSD card. The 62S will create a Garmin directory and create a new file gmapsupp.img in that directory. And with the 62S and Mapsource, you can rename those maps on the MicroSD, by rename the gmapsupp.img file every time after you send it on the memory card. Like I did NETopo24kYvon.img (portions of maps of Northeast Topo 24k) and you can see it in the Maps menu on the screen of the 62S.

I know that my English is not perfect, but I hope that my explanations are understandable.

Last edited:
I have read of people keeping several mapsets on their GPS by renaming the gmapsupp.img files. They presumably needed a computer to rename the files to switch between them. (The GPS will only see the gmapsupp.img file.)

Doug

I have read of people keeping several mapsets on their GPS by renaming the gmapsupp.img files. They presumably needed a computer to rename the files to switch between them. (The GPS will only see the gmapsupp.img file.)

Doug

I did not try Doug, but on the 62S, you can activated or deactivated the mapset easily. I have several mapset on my 62S now.
-------------------------------------------------
I just download a new mapset in my 62S, and rename it, and it work on the GPS.

Last edited:

I did not try Doug, but on the 62S, you can activated or deactivated the mapset easily. I have several mapset on my 62S now.
-------------------------------------------------
I just download a new mapset in my 62S, and rename it, and it work on the GPS.
I think we are talking about two different things:
* I was talking about storing several different gmapsupp.img-type files in the memory (internal or card). The currently active file must be named gmapsupp.img and any other such files must have different names (which will be ignored by the GPS). One switches the active files by renaming them. For instance one might have one set of maps for the east and another set for the west. Both east and west could include several mapsets, such as road and topo maps. My 60CSx cannot rename files, so I would require a computer to perform the renaming. (I don't know about the 62s.) Of course, one could also use several removable cards each of which contains a different gmapsupp.img file instead of renaming the files.
* In your scenario, you are referring to activating or deactivating individual map segments or map products (mapsets) in the current gmapsupp.img file. For instance, you could choose to show only road or only topo maps by activating and/or deactivating the appropriate types. This is done through the GPS menus.

Doug

Yes Doug, I have to use my computer to rename the maps or my selection of tiles of a map that I download on my Micro SD card.
But now, I do not have any gmapsupp.img in my 62S or on my Micro SD card. I erased the gmapsupp.img file on my 62S and I renamed the gmapsupp.img file after I download on my Micro SD card. Every time I download a map, my Garmin create a gmapsupp.img file that I can rename. Now I have two files on my card, NE24KAY.img and QUEBEC.img, no gmapsupp.img.

Just an FYI, something related to your issue.

I had an issue the other day with my Garmin Oregon 450, I had a topo map installed on the internal memory, I then reinstalled it onto my micro-SD card. The garmin wouldn't boot up when it had two copies of the same map on each memory type. To fix, I had to take out the batteries, hold the power button, plugin the usb cable to get power and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds, this forces the unit into storage mode so you can see it as a USB drive on your PC. I could then remove the maps from the internal storage. The gmapsupp file.

Of course, one could also use several removable cards each of which contains a different gmapsupp.img file instead of renaming the files.
That is exactly what I did when paddling the Yukon 1000 mile canoe race. At roughly 500 miles, we passed from the Yukon Territory into Alaska. Physically switching the tiny cards from Yukon to Alaska maps in a wet lurching canoe was one of the more stressful moments of the race! :eek: