Gear/gadget questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highonlife

Reaction score
I am looking into a satellite phone, not so much for Adk's but other adventures, does anyone have one and how is the battery usage? The only one I have ever used, or have any experience are Iridiums? I know there are different brands so would like to know if anyone else has comments about these?

Helmet cameras...Any suggestions and do they take nice photos, footage and if so what kind/brand would you suggest?

Thanks and input very much appreciated

Nancy, do a search on MYCCR.com for sat phone beta. Lots of informative threads to be found there.

Helmet cameras...Any suggestions and do they take nice photos, footage and if so what kind/brand would you suggest?

Thanks and input very much appreciated

I have a go pro hero HD and I love it so far. I don't think the pictures are spectacular. I can send you some sample video / stills if you're interested.

Mike

what's the intended application ? unless you "need" a helmet and both hands are fully engaged, I'd recommend a decent digital camera in movie mode with a minimum 8gb card held in front of you. you also have the option, then, to turn the camera and record yourself, your friends and your surroundings, other than just the forward facing helmet view.

I could see wanting/needing a helmet cam if you were skiing Tuckerman's, climbing or kayaking, etc. but most "normal" apps, you'd have a hand free.

Nancy, do a search on MYCCR.com for sat phone beta. Lots of informative threads to be found there.

Will do Neil, thanks

I have a go pro hero HD and I love it so far. I don't think the pictures are spectacular. I can send you some sample video / stills if you're interested.

Mike

Mike that would be great, would love to see this.

what's the intended application ? unless you "need" a helmet and both hands are fully engaged, I'd recommend a decent digital camera in movie mode with a minimum 8gb card held in front of you. you also have the option, then, to turn the camera and record yourself, your friends and your surroundings, other than just the forward facing helmet view.

I could see wanting/needing a helmet cam if you were skiing Tuckerman's, climbing or kayaking, etc. but most "normal" apps, you'd have a hand free.

Yes I would want it when I need both hands,

Have a great digital one thanks.

Mike that would be great, would love to see this.

Nancy,
You might need to update your video codecs to see these videos

Here is a 1080p video with the camera on a tripod:
http://www.speeddent.com/movies/GOPR0031.MP4 It is about 14 MB.

Here is a 960p (take 720p width, and make it 4:3 instead of widescreen) video with the camera on my helmet:
http://www.speeddent.com/movies/GOPR0075.MP4 It is about 19 MB.

Both of these videos were taken indoors (haven't had a chance outside yet) so the light was pretty low. The one negative about this camera is HD video is HUGE (1080p can be up to 15 MB per second).

The camera does have a (so far unused) feature where you can put it into still camera mode (also unused) and have it take a snapshot every N seconds to create a time lapse.

In addition to battery life, a satellite phone has kind of the same features to look for as a GPS, i.e. satellite reception (initial pick up and reacquire speed), as well as size and bulk. Some brands are better than others and the ones I have seen are somewhat bulky, especially when compared to cordless/cell phones.

It's been too long since I've rented one so I can't really offer an opinion on what to recommend.

I've also seen some specific-built helmet cams on cycling etailers, might want to check them out. I've always though one could make a DIY mount with a tripod screw and use a regular digicam, though probably not as good quality as a motion video camera.

Jay

This begs the question, where ya going? :)

I have the V.I.O POV Camera. It seems to be the camera of chose among folks that use & abuse their equipment.

I've use it in low light, sun light and down to 0 degrees without issues.

Here are some vids from my Whitney trip last year.