Gertrude's Nose (Shawangunks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
This is one of my favorite hikes in the Shawangunks. It is a very easy cliff top trail in Lake Minnewaska State Park; a 9 mile hike from the lake. A longer cliff top hike is also possible from the Trapps at the Mohonk Preserve, passing over Millbrook Mountain.

For this foliage hike I try to hit the peak of the flaming crimson in the huckleberry bushes. October 16 seemed a promising, sunny, calm. Afternoon is optimal for the nose. The keys to photographing the red berry bushes are: a bright sunny day. Have the bushes slightly backlit with the sun ideally at a 100-120 degree angle so that they can be polarized. Dial the polarizer filter to the max. Use a lens shade, your hand, or other object to keep the sun from hitting the front of your lens.

However, the foliage in the Gunks is running 3-7 days late this year. It also may not be as bright as most years. Many of the huckleberry bushes were already bare from prior heavy winds. The remaining bushes were in that awkward stage between green and red. So perhaps there will be a second coming of crimson berry bushes this year.

Despite the early and sub-par foliage, the cliff top walk on Gertrude's Nose trail is always spectacular. I spent all afternoon on the Nose and shot 400 images, which I pared down a 20 image photo album. I twice encountered a very tame turkey vulture who posed for me each time. I had a light weight telephoto zoom with me rather than my heavier IS zoom. I was carrying a tripod and was not expecting to photograph wildlife. I took a number of hand held shots, but I could not get the tripod set up quietly and quickly enough for better photos. Next time I'll be ready. I know where that vulture lives.

The foliage should be nearing peak this weekend (October 20-21) or early next week. Minnewaska and Mohonk will be very crowded this weekend. Go early to get a parking spot -- Long lines and waits will be common later in the day.

Mark Schaefer said:

The foliage should be nearing peak this weekend (October 20-21) or early next week. Minnewaska and Mohonk will be very crowded this weekend. Go early to get a parking spot -- Long lines and waits will be common later in the day.
Nice pics Mark! :D We did Bonticou Crag a few weeks ago and got back to the parking lot in the dark, after a beautiful sunset.

As always, great TR Mark. Thanks for the foliage update too.

Mark Schaefer said:
Minnewaska and Mohonk will be very crowded this weekend. Go early to get a parking spot -- Long lines and waits will be common later in the day.

For anyone from out of town who may actually read this and want to come to the Gunks this time of year, I strongly second this. And furthermore, if you are coming from the NYS Thruway, going through New Paltz, you will undoubtably encounter heavy traffic and long waits on RT 299 and Springtown Rd when trying to get back across the Wallkill to get into/through New Paltz in on your way home.

I would urge folks to seek out alternate routes. Folks coming from the south or west might consider using 209, a scenic, historic route on the west side of the Ridge, those going north may be able to head home via High Falls-Rosendale-Kingston. Using 44-55 is an option for those going south on the east side of the Ridge. Anyone looking for advice on alternate routes, please never hesitate to post or PM me for advice. Alternate routes are often more scenic anyway.

We have a serious traffic problem in and around New Paltz, and it only seems to get worse. Out of town folks can do themselves and us locals a favor by learning some alternate routes to use on the peak weekends.

<End Public Service Announcement> :D

Matt