Getting a new pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet

Reaction score
Ok, I've been looking at getting a new backpack and the criteria are....well, the universal Magic pack =). It has to do everything...

Specifically I am looking for it to handle both light weekend trips. A few excursions (4-7 days) probably once a year, and skiing day trips in the winter. So, it needs to be a technical backpack, I am willing to take a heavier pack for good comfortable carrying. I would love to keep the loads under 30 pounds, but I know on Ski days, it will probablly be around 35-45 with this Ski's on, and Probably in the 45 range in cold weather and 3+ day trips.

So the two packs I was really considering were: the Arc'Teryx Bora 70-80, and the Osprey Cresent 70-90. Am I being influenced by the really cute girl at the store I was at, or do peoples personal experience stand up on these packs. Also are there similar packs that I am leaving out, I should consider?
I am tempted by the Gergory Baltoro, but worried about the size...I plan on going back to the store next week to try on the packs and load em with some weight to see how they feel. AM I totally nuts here, should I look again at the generic store brands and save a few hundred bucks?

They are all good packs and all get good reviews. I would suggest that you take ALL your gear into the store, put it into the packs, and walk around for a while. If they hurt AT ALL, try another one. Remember also that you can always cinch a pack smaller, but can't get them to grow with extra/winter gear.
I bought the Gregory Forester and love it; I'm sorry they don't make them anymore...anyone know why?

I can't vouch for the specific models, but in general both would probably be excellent choices. I went into my local shop, intending to buy an Arc'Tyrex. I was talked into an Osprey Switch 40+15. Absolutely love it. Never had a pack, any pack, carry so well. I use it exclusively for winter day trips.

More importantly, how cute was the girl?

dug said:
I went into my local shop, intending to buy an Arc'Tyrex. I was talked into an Osprey Switch 40+15. Absolutely love it. Never had a pack, any pack, carry so well. I use it exclusively for winter day trips.
Me too, the Osprey Switch 40 is a great pack for long winter days with all the gear. It would have to be a LIGHT over-night though. I recently traded my Lowe Alpine Contour 90+15 for a Kelty Shadow 4500, roomy and light. Lowe Alpine now makes a Hyperlite 60+10 that looks good.

Greg said:
They are all good packs and all get good reviews. I would suggest that you take ALL your gear into the store, put it into the packs, and walk around for a while. If they hurt AT ALL, try another one. Remember also that you can always cinch a pack smaller, but can't get them to grow with extra/winter gear.
I bought the Gregory Forester and love it; I'm sorry they don't make them anymore...anyone know why?

My guess is the Baltero is probably the current season's "upgrade", replacing the Forester. I bought a Baltero in the spring, but haven't had a chance to use it on a 2 or 3 day trip yet.....looking forward to putting some mileage on it in September/October.

Last edited:
All three packs are top of the line. I have a couple Gregory packs and the construction is fantastic. I love them, but then I bought an arcteryx bora 65, and the fit was a lot better for me. it's a great pack, carries weight well, and has all the features i was looking for. i liked it so much so, i bought the bora 80 (only because i couldn't find the 95 on sale anywhere). I am a gear junkie and was looking at the osprey packs earlier this year, and i'm thinking about selling one of my Gregory for an aether 85. although the crescent series have great reviews, the aether seems to carry as much weight as i would want to carry, and the pack itself is a couple pounds lighter than the crescent.

But with all that said, try on the packs with all your gear, and go for the best fit.

aviarome

i think you're asking for a lot.
with that being said, i have the bora 80 and it's as good as it gets.

Wet said:
Ok, I've been looking at getting a new backpack and the criteria are....well, the universal Magic pack =). It has to do everything...

Specifically I am looking for it to handle both light weekend trips. A few excursions (4-7 days) probably once a year, and skiing day trips in the winter. So, it needs to be a technical backpack, I am willing to take a heavier pack for good comfortable carrying. I would love to keep the loads under 30 pounds, but I know on Ski days, it will probablly be around 35-45 with this Ski's on, and Probably in the 45 range in cold weather and 3+ day trips.

So the two packs I was really considering were: the Arc'Teryx Bora 70-80, and the Osprey Cresent 70-90. Am I being influenced by the really cute girl at the store I was at, or do peoples personal experience stand up on these packs. Also are there similar packs that I am leaving out, I should consider?
I am tempted by the Gergory Baltoro, but worried about the size...I plan on going back to the store next week to try on the packs and load em with some weight to see how they feel. AM I totally nuts here, should I look again at the generic store brands and save a few hundred bucks?

I have the BORA and its a bomber pack. I also have a few Osprey packs, not the particular model in question, but I must say that I think Osprey may have one of the best, most comfortable shoulder strap and waist belt systems out there...they are SOOO COMFY...neither pack is light, but you mentioned weight wasn't the biggest issue...The Boras not uncomfortable, just doesnt carry like an Osprey...Either can easily hold the pack weights you're working with..

M

gee, everyone used to say dana design was the best. I haven't heard a word about it here..did they get knocked off their perch?

hikerfast said:
gee, everyone used to say dana design was the best. I haven't heard a word about it here..did they get knocked off their perch?

Ive also heard the same, but have yet to have need to purcahse a Dana....I have been looking as I am a gearhead and saw some VERY nice sales in the latest Mountain Gear summer sale catalog, so...we'll see..but truly even though they are a bit heavier, the Ospreys really carry WELL...

M

hikerfast said:
I have a 7-year old Dana Astralplane that I use for winter. My friends still use their Terraplanes, but the problem with Dana Packs is that #1 the company was sold to K2 in '96 and they started manufacturing I believe in Mexico. The other problem is the packs are so damn heavy and overbuilt - They will last a lifetime, but 8+ Lbs is a heavy pack.
They are also pretty expensive - Used to be almost $500 - Most of the folks I knew that got them (including me) bought them while working at local outfitters such as EMS.
Here is a link to Wikipedia that offers some additional information. I was also surprised to see that Marmot has now rebranded DD as one of their own.
Dana

Last edited:
dana designs

I like my terraplane for backpacking or in winter at times when carrying for 2. When i went to ems I put 70 pounds in a gregory, k2, and dana terraplane. the terraplane is heavier, but it made 70 pounds feel like 35. For purposes of the thread, I will suggest there are lots of nice packs out there, and any pack now pretty much is FAR superior to everything we used to use years ago when we started. The nice padded hipbelts and newer suspensions are much better. I would also suggest bringing the stuff to the store and loading the pack, and walking around with it. As I mentioned, I did this with several packs when I was looking for a backpack.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I was starting to get a little nervouse that I was just buying into the sale a little bit. That was rectified however, later in the day when I went to EMS to check prices, and the dude I talked to knew nothing. (not specific problem to just that store). Soo, Looks like I will be going back with some gear and testing the carying weight of these packs. I've tried to wait a few days to think some more on it, and make sure i'm not just making an impulse gear purchase (which I do sometimes).

PS- The girl is really cute :) , and I'm not telling what store =P

Bora 80

I had a Bora 80. It is well-made, but very heavy. I am pretty thin and the waist belt was so stiff, it didn't fit me right, even over my winter jacket, so with a full load, it was uncomfortable. I got rid of it. I've only tried on the Osprey Aether 75 and 90 in the store, but both fit me a lot better than the Bora 80. Be sure to try whatever you are going to buy fully loaded (REI has sandbags for this purpose) and walk around the store for a few minutes. At least with REI, you can take it back if it doesn't fit right.

I think we should focus on the girl. Lets cut the c**p, and admit that in a few months you will have several backpacks specialized for your different activities anyway. Find out if she is wearing a ring first: piece of cake. If not, then ask her if her boyfriend is about the the same size as you. You might learn two things with this: if she doesn't have a boyfriend then you're golden, if she does have a boyfriend then you will learn whether or not he has similar interests. If not, then again you're golden. Also if you have several backpacks then you can loan her one when you hike together. Look into getting a two person tent while you are there. :D

If she is wearing a ring, well then, Campmor is cheaper anyway.