Glastenbury vt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard there are old abandoned buildings there but not sure where or how to get there. Or how good they are and are they cool enough to help me lure my boys into a long hike to see it?

I am a dayhiker that is scouting out several possibilities to break this Long Trail section up into two dayhikes. One possibility is from the west hiking in from Fayville. The other is running north from VT 100 to a pond and then bushwacking to the west and the LT. I will be checking this out Thursday, June 10. Then I will let you know what I come up with. i am partially resigned from what the locals have been telling me that in most likelihood, I will have to either do a monster dayhike or backpack with a night out. We'll see. i don't know if this is what info you are looking for.

20.2 miles roundtrip from Rt. 9. It wasn't as bad as I imagined.
It's a long day but bearable with company.

No boogeymen, bigfeet, insect like monsters or UFOs. H.P. Lovecraft had me worried.

I am a dayhiker that is scouting out several possibilities to break this Long Trail section up into two dayhikes. One possibility is from the west hiking in from Fayville. The other is running north from VT 100 to a pond and then bushwacking to the west and the LT. I will be checking this out Thursday, June 10. Then I will let you know what I come up with. i am partially resigned from what the locals have been telling me that in most likelihood, I will have to either do a monster dayhike or backpack with a night out. We'll see. i don't know if this is what info you are looking for.
There are trails from both E (behind outhouse at leanto) & W (ATV trails to ridge N of summit) that bring you out N of Glastenbury, or you can descend directly S from Glastenbury Shelter on old LT or on logging road from col to W.

Whether 2 15-mile hikes is better than a 20-mile hike is up to you.

I also did the Long Trail and West Ridge Loop. It took us the whole day, but we weren't trying to go fast and we also whacked to two of the sub-peaks.

Be prepared for a long walk thru the green tunnel. It's a nice walk with lots of ferns, but it does get a little tedious after a while.

Other than a near collision with a high speed grouse, nothing unusual happened.

hammerhead - could have been 10-12 hours, it was June 06. Started in the dark, ended in the dark.
I corresponded with Marc Howes, who did it a month prior. I figured if this guy could do it, I can. Well this was a humbling experience.
The northern section of that mountain I'll never attempt in a day, I don't believe.

Anyone gone up via harbour rd in woodford? I planned on skinning up via that route this winter but there were no parking signs at the end of the road.

I heard that the road is gated not too far in and that unless I could get five miles in, the split up of this section would not be feasible using that route. This was originally my #1 choice for splitting the section based on my DeLorme map. Now I want to see what the Fayville approach has to offer. But can I get to Fayville by car is my biggest question.

Anyone gone up via harbour rd in woodford? I planned on skinning up via that route this winter but there were no parking signs at the end of the road.

I heard that the road is gated not too far in and that unless I could get five miles in, the split up of this section would not be feasible using that route. This was originally my #1 choice for splitting the section based on my DeLorme map. Now I want to see what the Fayville approach has to offer. But can I get to Fayville by car is my biggest question.
I think the gate at the end of the town road is only closed in winter and spring, I have been to the 2400' point at the map center in years past in a 2wd pickup
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.95290,-73.10921&z=13&t=T

I think you can get to Fayville by car but MacIntyre requires real 4wd. Your best bet is probably the Nutmeg Trail from the E used by the CT chapter maintainers of Kid Gore Shelter (no, this trail does not appear in guidebooks but if you do it downhill first you will know how to get back up :). Some winter I will hike up the snowmobile trails from that side.

Thanks. I'll have to check out Harbour Rd again in the next couple of weeks. Three or four winters ago I skiied up starting at the bottom of Kelley Stand and got to within 1-2 miles of the summit via the McIntyre snowmobile trail. I plan on getting back up there this summer for a trail run. Definately need 4wd once on the McIntyre trail.