Glissading - favorite trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

Reaction score
Anyone care to share the best sections of trail for glissading either in the Whites or Daks (assuming mid-winter snow levels)?

as mentioned above, osceola and south hancock are good. i'd add castle trail,--especially right below where the link crosses. i've worn down some fabric on that one a few times. also, the snowfields above the alpine garden are good though avalanche precautions should be in effect for that one i'd say. when the snow is kinda deep, i've made good butt time down falling waters as well. ain't winter (conditions) great?!!

The Agonies on Old Bridal path are great fun,
Sections on Blueberry ledge trail
Kevin is right, Ammo ravine is a blast
Is it Scaur ridge off the summit of North Tripyramid? That's steep and like a toboggan chute in good conditions.

What about Huntington ravine trail? :D :D Actually Falling waters is fun and the Hancock loop also.

I haven't been winter hiking as much as most people here but...

I remember Big Slide had a wicked glissade off the summit, long, very steep, and very fast, but be sure to brake with your ice axe.

I will always remember glissading off of Giant Mountain last year. The first obvious glissade from the summit is quite fast and makes a turn near the bottom. I came down that thing last January just as this guy was rounding the corner...if you could only have seen his face! He must have thought Big Foot had got him. He jumped back terrified, me with ice axe in hand, we both had a good laugh afterward.

From the Lion's Head Trail down into Tuckerman's Ravine via the Lobster Claw.

Eliminates the steep downclimb at the termination of Lions Head.

In the Whites my favorite is Beaver Brook Trail to Moosilauke... along the cascades.

I take my glissades and sledding seriously! Heres a list of my favs:
1) Steepest and Longest run without getting off from yer butt: Algonquin
2) Fastest:Phelps (37mph Top speed on a GPS reading(it was that fast only because of icey conditions))
3) Most fun: Nye (made a straight run without seeing another person from the summit of Nye to Indian Pass Brook!)
Head

Being relatively new to winter hiking can you please explain to me exactly what is needed to glissade. I understand that it involves sliding on your but with an ice axe used to slow/steer. Is that correct? Is the trail from Algonquin to Lake Colden a good one? I can remember how steep the trail was from this past summer and figure it would be a great route. I'm slowly building up my winter gear and wanted to get crampons first but with the prospect of a fun way down some mountains the ice axe looks like an important purchase as well. Any reccomendations on ice axes?

do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant

Last edited:
Head said:
2) Fastest:Phelps (37mph Top speed on a GPS reading(it was that fast only because of icey conditions))
I wouldn't make any big bar bets with this stat. Maximum speed on a GPS is not extremely accurate due to normal tracking errors. All it takes is one track point reading that is sufficiently (and erroneously) far from the previous point to get the GPS to calculate an incorrect max speed. I've seen this happen when the GPS loses a satellite or picks up a new one. Average speed is more accurate, but wouldn't be as impressive in your case.

I’ve recorded maximum speeds of 30+ MPH on a day hike as a result of tracking error. You can download and examine your track points to find and remove spurious track points. They often stick out like a spike on your track. Once (when I had a ton of free time) I downloaded a set of track points to a spreadsheet and calculated all of the point-to-point speeds. They were all over the map (no pun intended).

GPS accuracy aside, I personally can't imagine sliding down an icy slope at almost 40 MPH on my butt! (Watch out for bumps and trees and things!) My glissades tend to be more in the speed category of getting a safe, free, relatively boring ride down the hill. I strap boards onto my feet when I want a speed thrill.

Hi Mnt Goat
You will probably see different views on ice axes and their necessity.... but I like one that just barely touches the ground when I hold my arm relaxed at my side.
Careful...no wearing crampon's while glissading!
Other than that all you need is plenty of snow cover to have some fun !
good luck
spdr

*Bump*

How bout a link or an explanation of how to use an ice axe while travelling down a slope at high speed without getting your arm torn off or your shoulder dislocated? I assume you want a leash so you can still stop if the handle slips out of your hands?

Anyone?