Glissading - favorite trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stopping

Remix, youll proboly get alot of good advice here but if I may a few points. First off Id be carefull about going to fast to soon, there is a fine line between a fast glissade and a fall. I personally do not glissade much, I used to slide like the best of them, until I hit ice under snow and almost couldnt stop, I retched my shoulder almost out of socket trying to stop but did self arrest eventually.
First take off your crampons, then sit, hold your axe over the top with one hand and the shaft with the other using the ferrel as your brake, the more you dig in the ferrel the more you can control your speed. Make sure the adze is pointing towards your chest and be prepared if you have to to roll over and self arrest. I would strongly encourge practicing glissading and self arresting in a controlled setting until your very good at it before attemping anything on a real mountain slope.
Your leash should be set so that when your hand is in the lood, your hand and the leash is above the ferrel, no lower. Also remeber the pick on a axe is a mixed blessing, great for climbing and stopping also great for punture wounds. :(

Seymour
Macomb Slide
Sawteeth
Pyramid Peak
Giant
Allen
Blake
Skylight
Saddleback
Seward
Upper and Lower Wolf
Nippletop

To name a few.

Anything that has a steep pitch, plenty of fresh snow, well packed trail.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but Rt73 round pond Dix trail from the summit of Dix to the base of the slides seems to me steeper, and longer without the ledges and ice bulges that Algonquin has.

Mark said:
GPS accuracy aside, I personally can't imagine sliding down an icy slope at almost 40 MPH on my butt! (Watch out for bumps and trees and things!) My glissades tend to be more in the speed category of getting a safe, free, relatively boring ride down the hill. I strap boards onto my feet when I want a speed thrill.
I'm sorry I didnt clarify in my first post, but I was in a sled, not on my bum...We have passed skiers and a boarder on the way down from summits of Marcy and Algonquin if that brings any more legitimacy to the GPS reading...;)
Head

There was an interesting post in Trail Conditions about climbing Dix via Round Pound. Little snow at the trailhead, 12" higher up, and waist deep powder at 4,600'.
Hiker wore crampons all day and left the shoes in the car.

I mention this as this is a glissade thread. Are most readers aware that a glissade with crampons can result in an "exciting" descent? If you're sliding down a steep pitch with icy or icy-crust beneath you, its really important to pay attention to where your crampon-shod boots are, and keep them well above the ice. If the surface is hard enough, your velocity can drive the crampon point(s) into the ice flip you head first, or worse, into and out of control eggbeater. Its a lot easier to do that you might think.

Thanks for starting this thread

I've never done this before, but it sounds like a hoot. Cool beans, something new to try.

lobster claw?

I know Tuck's very well but I am not a skier, could someone tell me aproximetly where this "Lobster Claw" is, Im very curious now.

Avalon coming off of Mt. Field. My Marmot goretex still has not given out on me. Also, 2 winters ago ('02/'03) White Dot off of Monadnock - total blast!!

Allen Slide
Esther's Snow Fairy Ladder
Dix to the Slide
Gothics, Pyramid, Sawteeth triple combo

and, of course,

Grace Peak's Southern Drainage Extravaganza Ride AKA: The Upside Down Inside Out Snow Gobbling Spruce Hobbling Cliff Bumbling Waterfall Tumbling Flail Till You Bail Fun Filled SubZero Frolic Fest.

The cable route on Gothics can generate some good speed as I remember and I don't know about you but the Ski Jumps in Placid look tempting.

Last edited: